This course works through the step by step process of designing a monitoring programme in relation to different monitoring objectives in different water bodies.
An emphasis is placed on good practice in order to ensure reliable data are generated. Approaches to the selection of monitoring stations, monitoring methods and water quality parameters are considered.
The need for a basic understanding of the hydrology of the water bodies is emphasised in order to optimise the frequency and location of sample collection.
On successful completion of this module, students should be able to:
- Outline the principal steps of a freshwater quality monitoring programme.
- Identify examples of common water quality monitoring programme objectives and suggest key activities required to meet those objectives.
- Identify the key hydrological information required when monitoring rivers, lakes and groundwaters.
- Select different approaches to monitoring water quality using field and laboratory techniques in relation to specific monitoring programme objectives.
- Select monitoring sites for different scales of monitoring programmes in rivers, lakes and groundwater.
Информация об оплатеThe course fee is €400 for EU applicants and €800 for Non-EU applicants. For UNEP GEMS/Water sponsored students the course fee is €100. These candidates from developing countries should complete the Reduced Fee Form available on the website of the Centre. Applicants will be University College Cork (UCC) fully registered students and they will have access to the Learning Environment Canvas, through which the courses are delivered, and other resources of UCC such as the online Library.
Candidates should send to firstname.lastname@example.org the following documentation:
- Application form available here.
- Copy of Birth Certificate (or Certificate of Marriage if the name was changed).
- Transcripts or parchment in English from your master’s degree/bachelor degree.
- If English is not your first language, you should also supply an English Language Exam certificate.