Who is a refugee? What is the legal framework currently applicable to those fleeing countries affected by armed conflicts and violations of human rights? What are the related obligations of host states?
This short course analyses the main international and regional legal norms governing refugee protection. It examines the sources of international refugee law, including the 1951 Geneva Convention Relating to the Status of Refugees, and their interaction with human rights law and international humanitarian law. It also analyses the definition of a refugee, the principle of non-refoulement as well as asylum procedures. Particular attention is dedicated to the case-law of State Parties to the 1951 Geneva Convention.
In Geneva and Online
The course can be followed in Geneva or online. Please note that the number of places to follow the course in Geneva is limited.
This short course forms part of the Geneva Academy Executive Master in International Law in Armed Conflict. It is open to professionals – diplomats, lawyers, legal advisers, judges, NGO staff, human rights advocates, media specialists, professionals working in emergency situations, UN staff and staff from other international organizations – who are not enrolled in the Executive Master and who want to deepen their expertise in this specific issue.
Classes take place on:
- Friday 30 April 2021, 14:30 – 17:30
- Friday 7 May 2021, 14:00 – 17:30
- Friday 14 May 2021, 14:00 – 17:30
- Friday 21 May 2021, 18:00 – 20:00
Información sobre tarifasThe fee for this short course is 1,250 Swiss Francs.
Your application will need to include:
- A short motivation letter (no more than one page)
- Your curriculum vitae
- Proof of your competence in English (a certificate or statement highlighting your solid background in English)
- A valid copy of your visa or residence permit for candidates wishing to follow the short course in Geneva (only applicants who require a visa to enter the Schengen area)
Once admitted to the course, participants receive instructions on how to pay. Proof of payment is required before you begin the course.