Communication in humanitarian settings is essential to ensuring an effective programme implementation and the satisfaction of the people involved. Communication is central before, during, and at the end of a humanitarian programme as it is the main medium of interaction between the different actors (populations, humanitarian actors, stakeholders) and within the different groups (organisations, communities etc.).
Professional communication requires specific competencies, particularly for people working in humanitarian contexts or taking part in the humanitarian response. Specific areas include:
- To mobilize knowledge and know-how; and to choose appropriate behaviours;
- To contextualize the implementation of a communication plan;
- To adapt skills acquired to a complex and changing environment.
The Massive Online Open Course (MOOC) “Humanitarian communication, addressing key challenges” will allow participants to gain some of the competencies by focusing on the main challenged of communications in humanitarian settings and the means to address these challenges.
- Duration: Five weeks
- Cost: Free
- Working hours: 3-4 hours per week of work
- Online platform: Coursera : https://www.coursera.org/learn/humanitarian-communication
- Language: English
- Deadline: one week before it starts
- At the end of the course, participants will obtain a “Statement of Accomplishment”.
Five week open ONLINE course 3-4 hours per week of work
Offered several times throughout the academic year
How to Register
People working in humanitarian contexts and taking part in humanitarian responses including professionals, volunteers, population affected involved in humanitarian projects, people interested in communication in humanitarian contexts.
The course is free, no admission needed.