About the Course
This 6-day training course prepares humanitarian personnel to address WASH needs during emergencies and recovery operations. This participatory course, with group exercises, theory-based sessions and practical exercises covers emergency water supply, emergency sanitation and basics of hygiene promotion in emergencies along with an introduction to disease prevention. This course also provides an overview of managing WASH projects in emergencies, identifying key issues and technical skills required for WASH responses.
- Explain Water and Sanitation issues and their effects on public and environmental health.
- Demonstrate how to design and manage WASH Programmes including the application of the Sphere Standards.
- Demonstrate how to operate and maintain Water and Sanitation Facilities Identify solutions and approaches to provisioning water and sanitation in post-disaster settings including water testing, treatment, source development and supply in emergencies.
- Identify appropriate short and medium-term options for sanitation and excreta disposal in a range of environments.
- Explain how to do targeting and addressing key high-risk practices to reduce morbidity and mortality in emergencies and post-emergency settlements.
- Explain various community-led interventions for WASH along with hygiene promotion tools, methods and approaches.
Course Content - Summary
- Water source identification, Site selection and planning; Water supply and distribution (‘pipes and fittings’); Water quality and treatment; Water storage options (tanks and construction); Water pumping and distribution; and Planning and equipment selection.
- Excreta disposal and toilets; Environmental sanitation (solid and liquid waste management, WASH in Health facilities, site clean-up, vector control); and Faecal Sludge management.
- Project planning, monitoring and evaluation; WASH Sector role and capability in disaster response; Transition issues (from emergency to rehabilitation); and Coordination and Partnerships.
- Covers concepts of public health engineering and environmental health in emergencies, standard equipment used in the field. Practical sessions and demonstrations give you the chance to see and try water, sanitation and hygiene equipment, processes and practices.
- Interlinkage of WASH with other sectors, particularly Shelter, Protection, Health and Nutrition.
This training is a blend of technical classroom session and extensive practice and demonstration sessions. The course involves multiple group exercises, discussions and a simulation exercise. Every day of the training allows for reflection, evaluation and review. Informal exchange of experiences and learning are a vital part of all RedR India training courses. Participants can expect both theoretical and hands-on exercises that cater to all types of learners and learning styles.
Who can Participate?
The course is suitable for participants from a wide range of backgrounds including Water, Sanitation and Hygiene Managers and Coordinators, from the field or HQ, Engineers and environmental health professionals looking to move into WASH programmes etc., Emergency response or management specialists with some experience of a major transnational NGO or the UN, emergency desk staff of humanitarian organisations, and government officials working in emergencies zones.
Fee information*RESIDENTIAL- ₹66000 / $925 APPROX **NON-RESIDENTIAL- ₹36000/ $514 APPROX *Includes tuition fee, breakfast, lunch, dinner, refreshments during training and shared accommodation (room to be shared by two participants). **Includes tuition fee, lunch and refreshments during the training. The course fee is inclusive of applicable taxes in India. The base currency for RedR India is INR. All the billing will be in INR, with equivalent USD / GBP or other currency rates prevailing at the time of billing being applicable. Single occupancy rooms can be made available on request and with additional cost. For any other query or support, kindly write to us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
How to Register
To register for this course, please click the participant registration form. Your registration will be confirmed on receipt of the completed form and course fee. If you have any queries regarding the training or you face any difficulty in filling the registration form, please write to us at email@example.com or you can call us directly on our office phone number - 91- 7028198901.