This free, new e-learning pathway will introduce you to the core skills and knowledge needed to volunteer in the humanitarian sector.
The 5 modules listed below will prepare you to meet the following learning objectives:
Module 1: Introduction
- How prepared are you to volunteer as part of a humanitarian response? In what ways can you build on your existing knowledge and skills?
Module 2: Volunteering in the humanitarian context
- Identify who fills various roles within humanitarian response.
- Describe the activities that take place at each phase of humanitarian response.
- Identify the roles that can be taken on by volunteers.
- Understand basic terminology of the humanitarian programme cycle.
Module 3: Applying humanitarian principles as a volunteer
- Understand the key humanitarian principles, and how they apply to common tasks and dilemmas.
- Identify and take action in situations where humanitarian action might result in unintended harm.
Module 4: Volunteer communication and accountability
- Understand the importance of accountability to affected people and the role that communication plays in this.
- Identify opportunities and methods to improve communication with crisis-affected people.
- Identify ways to work more collaboratively and effectively with others who are also responding to a crisis, as well as with crisis-affected individuals.
Module 5: Volunteer safety and wellbeing
- Identify and suggest ways to reduce safety and security risks and threats.
- Identify personal qualities that may impact risks during certain volunteer assignments, and suggest ways to reduce risks based on these qualities.
- Plan how to manage stress during volunteer assignments.
How long will it take?
This pathway requires about 2.5 - 3 hours to complete.
Will I get a certificate at the end?
Yes - you will be able to download a certificate once you have have completed all of the modules within the course.