Using the results approach for projects and programmes
This Monitoring and Evaluation (M&E) for Results training course is for managers and monitoring and evaluation officers who need to supervise, manage, plan and implement M&E in their projects and programmes. The course addresses M&E for the entire results chain, including the all-important outcomes; it covers the principles, and embeds the practice of M&E for results. You can attend the M&E for Results 10 day course and later attend our Theory of Change or Leadership and Management for Development training (within a 12 month period) and receive our Certificate in Applied Evaluation or Certificate in Development Management.
Why choose this course
Delivered by our practitioners with extensive participatory field experience, this is the leading M&E course for development professionals. Those responsible for project or programme-level M&E benefit from the latest M&E thinking and practice, including results approaches. This course will enable you to bring the learning into practice and to understand the difference between data, information and knowledge which is a key aspect to ensure strategic decision making.
What you will learn
Through a mix of practical activities, theory and examples of effective practice you will learn how to:
- decide what and how to monitor with different stakeholders
- clarify key results at the programme-level using logic models
- plan a project using the logical framework
- develop indicators and targets
- use participatory methods for data collection and analysis
- combine qualitative and quantitative approaches to gather and interpret data
- design and manage evaluation
- use your M&E findings to stimulate learning, improvement and stakeholder buy-in
- develop and work with a practical M&E system
Daily Course Objectives
Subject to change to reflect participants' needs.
Week 1: Principles of M&E for Results
The changing role and practice of M&E
- M&E fundamentals
- results approaches: outputs, outcomes and impact
- relate M&E to your programme and project cycle
- identify stakeholders and their differing needs and roles
- develop logic models
- work with and beyond logframes
Developing M&E frameworks
- criteria for indicators
- develop project indicators
- identify means of verification
- quantitative and qualitative approaches and instruments
- data organisation, quality assurance and analysis
- design baseline, evaluation and impact studies
M&E system and plan
- prepare M&E plan
- M&E system
- week 1 learning synthesis.
What our participants say
"IMA organises very good participatory training methods. I will be using this [M&E for Results] training to help set up our M&E system to track results and impact of my organisations work."
Souleymana Mamane, Operations Director, World Vision International, Niger
"IMA has an excellent combination of good trainers and staff. A well organised quality training with great content, that combines knowledge with practice and fun. A rich blend of international participation and shared experience. It enhances team work and promotes good partnership. With IMA training, you become an agent for positive change."
Esinu Abbey,Community Water and Sanitation Agency Ghana
Meet the Trainer
"A great strength of the IMA approach to training lies in the diversity of opportunities it provides for participants to learn. Participants who feel comfortable with more conventional study methods can draw on the well organised readings and powerpoint presentations. Those who learn most by doing and sharing benefit from the innovative range of participatory exercises. Mick Howes, IMA consultant
Fee informationFee information: £2000 For more information please visit http://www.imainternational.com/fees_and_discounts
How to Register
View our fact sheet here...
We also run this course as in-house training for organisations.