Drought Situation & EW Phase Classification
The County was largely dry and cloudy throughout the month. There was early cessation of the 2022 long rains.
Vegetation Condition: Only slight improvements have been recorded; with three sub counties experiencing severe vegetation deficit while the rest recorded moderate vegetation deficit. No further improvements are expected as June marks the start of the dry season.
• Livestock body condition is fair to poor and on an improving trend.
• Slight Increased in milk production was reported.
• Cases of livestock diseases such CCPP, CBPP, PPR, SGP and FMD still persist in the county.
• Migration within and outside the County was reported.
• Terms of trade is unfavorable when compared to normal
• There was a slight increase in household milk consumption.
• Slight decrease in household distance to water sources was reported
• Livestock grazing distance decreased slightly when compared to last month.
▪ The proportion of children below the age of five at risk of moderate malnutrition stood at 26.1 percent during the month under review.
▪ Households employed more coping strategies.
▪ More than 23 percent of the households in the Pastoral Livelihood Zone registered poor food consumption score.
▪ Kala-Azar and Chikungunya outbreaks are still active. Increased diarrheal cases have been reported across the County.