Drought Situation & EW Phase Classification
Drought Phase: ALERT-WORSENNING
• Biophysical indicators are showing negative trends away from expected seasonal ranges.
• Light showers of rainfall were received in the month of May 2022.
• The May Vegetation Condition Index values for Tana North-Bura and Galole sub-county are below normal but on declining trend for the county by 28th April 2022.
• The Water levels in most water pans were declining below normal at 4-5(45%-65%) across all livelihood zones.
Socio Economic Indicators (Impact Indicators)
• The forage condition is poor in pastoral and marginal mixed but fair in mixed farming livelihoods in both quality and quantity
• Livestock body condition is normal in mixed and moderate in marginal mixed and pastoral livelihood zones.
• Milk production is below average in Pastoral and marginal mixed livelihood zones. This is attributed to depleting forage and pasture conditions.
• Livestock migrations towards the fall back grazing fields have been observed during the month.
• Terms of trade on declining trend. Attributed to decreasing prices of goat and increasing cereal prices due to market dynamics.
• Distances to water sources for households currently on a increasing trend and below averages compared to normal.
• The number of under-fives at risk of malnutrition currently on the increase compared to previous month.
• Copping strategy index for households is on increasing trend due high food prices and lack of enough food at household level.