COVID-19 – Cook Islands, Fiji, Vanuatu, Palau and Solomon Islands
Influenza-like Illness (ILI)
PSSS, EPI - WK 21, 2022 Influenza-like Illness (ILI) cases compared to WK 20, 2022 ILI cases are as tabulated as below for comparison. For an added perspective on the figures and trends percentage, country sentinel sites reporting for WKs 20 & 21 are also shown.
- Actual increase in the number of ILI cases is seen in CNMI, Niue and Palau. The increase seen in Vanuatu may be due to the increased number of sites reported for the week.
- A reduction of ILI cases were seen in Fiji, Wallis & Futuna FSM, RMI and Cook Islands for the week. The decrease seen in Tonga, Solomon Islands and New Caledonia may be due to the decreased number of sites reported for the week.
- Nil ILI cases were reported for the week from Tokelau and Pitcairn Islands.
- No reports were available from French Polynesia, Kiribati, Tuvalu, and Samoa for the week.
American Samoa, Guam and Nauru have not participated in the surveillance.
- Surveillance figures are not intended to capture all country cases but to describe trends over time and are invaluable when trends rise beyond country baselines which should then trigger alerts and timely actions to characterize the actual nature and magnitude of the disease.
- Maintaining surveillance of influenza and monitoring SARS-CoV-2 adapting Global Influenza Surveillance and Response System (GISRS) and sentinel systems during the COVID-19 pandemic: Interim guidance o WHO guidelines for the implementation of the Influenza and SARS-CoV-2 Multiplex RT-PCR Assay into the influenza and COVID-19 integrated surveillance Refer here
SARI (Severe Acute Respiratory Illness)
Severe acute respiratory illness (SARI) as reported from sentinel surveillance (3/18) sites through PSSS.
As of June 02, 2022 a total of 533,803,940 cases of COVID-19 have been confirmed including 6,316,555 (1%) deaths and 504,738,051 (99%) recoveries from 215 Countries and Territories. Out of this, currently 22,712,666 (99.8%) are mild cases and 36,668 (0.2%) are serious cases.
As of June 02, 2022, in the Western Pacific Region, there were 60,611,797 confirmed COVID-19 cases and 231,377 deaths.
Pacific Island Countries COVID-19 situation report as follows: