• The National Emergency Operations Centre was activated on Friday 14th January 2022 following a tsunami marine warning and Tonga Geological Services reports of increased volcanic activity.
• HTHH volcano erupted at approx. 5.20pm on Sat 15 Jan 2022 which also triggered a mass evacuation.
• The tsunami warning was cancelled before midday today (17 Jan 2022)
• Communication including interne remains significantly hindered.
• Ha'apai District Emergency Operations Centre made contact with Tongatapu on 17th Jan 2022, for the first time since 15th Jan 2022.
• The Government of Tonga is organising the vessel MV Late to travel to Ha'apai with relief supplies and personnel to distribute and also conduct assessments.
• Initial Damage Assessments (IDA) commenced on Sun 16 Jan 2022 targeting impacted coastal areas across Tongatapu.
• Preliminary results of IDA from Tongatapu (4 communities) and Tua show:
o 33 Completely damaged households
o 117 severely damaged households
o 74 moderately damaged household
• To date, NEMO has distributed 8,883L and Tonga Red Cross advised they have distributed 1870L.
• As of midday today, there have been 3 reported deaths.
• Vava'u has been in contact today and low on diesel