Budgetary allocations to the Ministry of Education (MoE) amounted to MMK 2,685 billion in 2019/20, representing a share of 8.4 per cent of the Union budget.
The MoE has become the 4th largest budget holder after Ministries of Electricity and Energy, Planning and Finance and Defence. The MoE is now receiving more funding than the total sum of aggregate transfers from Union to States and Regions.
The budget of the Department of Basic Education represented 74.6 per cent of the total MoE’s budget; the Department of HigherEducation represented 17 per cent; while the Department of Technical, Vocational Education and Training accounted for 6.8 per cent. The combination of these three accounts for 98.4 per cent of the Ministry’s total budget for 2019/20.
At the Ministry level, the budget execution rate has been very good, ranging between 92 per cent and 111 per cent during the period 2015/16 to 2018/19.
In 2019/20, more than 28 per cent of MoE budget allocations were for capital expenditure with the remaining 72 per cent for current expenditure. This allocation represented an increase in capital investment, compared with recent years.
The offices of Basic Education in States and Regions’ have received budget allocations from the Ministry’s Department of Basic Education for the implementation of the programme. The criteria used to determine allocations are based on inputs and efficiency in expenditure. The application of these criteria has ensured a steady, regular increase in allocations over the past years. Analysis has also shown some degree of adaptation to local conditions, although challenges around achievement of consistent levels of service quality across the whole country have remained.