Drought Situation & EW Phase Classification
• Biophysical indicators are showing negative trends away from the expected seasonal ranges.
• Below average amount of rainfall were received in the month of January 2021.
• The January Vegetation Condition Index values for Tana North-Bura sub-county are below normal and indicating moderate drought.
• The Water levels in most water pans were below normal at 3(25%-65%) in Pastoral and Marginal mixed livelihood zones.
Socio Economic Indicators (Impact Indicators)
• The forage condition is fair to poor in pastoral but fair to good in mixed livelihoods in both quality and quantity.
• Livestock body condition is good in mixed and fair to good in marginal mixed and pastoral livelihood zones.
• Milk production remained stable at 4.0 litres across the livelihood zones. This is attributed to fair forage and pasture conditions.
• Livestock migrations were reported towards the fall back grazing fields.
• Terms of trade are currently above normal range.
• Distances to water sources for households currently stable compared to normal.
• The number of under-fives at risk of malnutrition stood at 16.8%, which is above normal at this time of the year.
• Copping strategy index for households is within normal ranges but on a worsening trend.