Drought Situation & EW Phase Classification
Drought Phase: Normal-Stable
• Most Biophysical indicators are still within the expected seasonal ranges.
• Below average amount of rainfall was received in August 2020.
• The August Vegetation Condition Index values for Tana River County are above normal and clearly indicating good vegetation conditions across all sub-counties.
• The Water levels in most water pans were above normal at (45%-70%) in all livelihood zones.
Socio Economic Indicators (Impact Indicators)
• The forage condition is fair to good in both quality and quantity.
• Livestock body condition is good to fair across all livelihood zones.
• Milk production remains stable at 3.7 litres across the livelihood zones. This is attributed to access to water, fair forage and pasture conditions.
• Normal Livestock migrations were reported towards the Delta.
• Crop and livestock production is above average.
• Terms of trade are currently above normal range.
• Distances to water sources for households currently below normal ranges.
• The number of under-fives at risk of malnutrition stood at 15.70%, which is above normal at this time of the year.
• Copping strategy index for households is within normal ranges but on an improving trend.