Saltar al contenido principal

Ukraine MAAUA002 Annual Report

Países
Ucrania
Fuentes
IFRC
Fecha de publicación
Origen
Ver original

In brief

Programme purpose: The programmes supported by the International Federation of Red Cross and Red Crescent Societies (IFRC) aim to reduce the number of deaths, injuries and impact from disasters; to reduce deaths, illnesses and impact from diseases and public health emergencies; to increase local community, civil society and Red Cross Red Crescent capacity to address the most urgent situations of vulnerability; and to promote respect for diversity and human dignity, and reduce intolerance, discrimination and social exclusion.

Programme summary: The funding in 2009 for the Ukraine country plan 2009-2010 was low. Only capacity-building activities received funding through the IFRC. These were donations from Lars Amundsen Foundation and the Japanese Red Cross to the project aimed at improving the capacity of the visiting nurses service (VNS). Other activities of the Ukraine Red Cross such as disaster preparedness and promotion of humanitarian values could not be implemented due to lack of funding.

Nevertheless in the third quarter of 2009 a human pandemic preparedness programme (H2P) supported by USAID and an HIV programme funded bilaterally by the American Red Cross were launched. The Ukrainian Red Cross also began bilateral activities with PATH1 within the framework of a 250,000 US dollar anti-TB programme (also funded by USAID). In May 2009, the Ukraine Red Cross completed its relief operation for flood affected communities in some of the most impoverished parts of the country.

The partnership meeting held in September 2009 in Kiev resulted in the establishment of new partnerships for the National Society. The society received support from the German Red Cross for its volunteer programme and for organising a new mobile diagnostic laboratory in Volyn region to conduct Chernobyl-related activities. Besides the Japanese Red Cross allocated money for the development of the VNS and Estonian Red Cross offered financial support to conduct a first-aid training of trainers for the National Society.

Financial situation: The initial 2009 budget was CHF 579,301 which was revised to CHF 640,312 (USD 593,981 or EUR 438,570) due to additionally received funds, of which CHF 105,984 or 17 per cent is covered. Expenditure overall was 68 per cent of received funding. The remaining 32 per cent was carried forward to 2010 to be used for film production and purchasing of bicycles for the VNS.