I. DISASTER OVERVIEW
1. The Ministry of Emergencies of Belarus informs that on 23 June 1997 a hurricane hit the Brest and Minsk regions of the country causing a substantial damage to the population and economy of the regions:
- Five people are reported dead, forty five are heavily wounded, hundreds of people are left without shelter.
- 376 houses and 208 industrial structures are destroyed; 7015 houses, 1959 industrial structures, 4415 transformer sub-stations and 349 electric power lines are damaged; 1639 settlements are without electric power supply.
- 122759 hectares of cultivated land are damaged which may lead to difficulties in food supply for the population of the affected regions of the country.
II. NEEDS ESTIMATES
2. Initial governmental estimates quote a figure of US Dollars 150,000,000 as required for rehabilitation and reconstruction. Most urgent requirements are for the construction materials, electrical equipment and cables.
3. The Government of Belarus has addressed through DHA-Geneva its request for assistance of USD 5,000,000 to undertake the most urgent measures for elimination of the consequences of the disaster.
4. DHA-Geneva has contacted the DHA Representative in Minsk, Belarus to identify and quantify the immediate relief needs of the affected population. They would be reported in the next situation report as soon as received from Belarus.
5. DHA is prepared to serve as a channel for cash contributions, to be used during the immediate relief phase, in coordination/consultation with relevant organizations of the United Nations system. DHA provides donors with written confirmation and pertinent details concerning the utilization of the funds contributed.
6. Donors wishing to channel their contributions through DHA should transfer funds to DHA account no. CO.590.160.1 at the Swiss Bank Corporation, Case Postale 2770, CH-1211 Geneva 2, Switzerland, with reference: Belarus/Hurricane, DHA-Geneva.
7. For coordination purposes, donors are requested to inform DHA Geneva, as indicated below, of relief missions/ pledges/contributions and their corresponding values by item.
Telephone number: +41-22-917-1234
In case of emergency only: +41-22-917-2010
Desk Officer: Mr. Sergio Piazzi, direct tel: +41-22-917-3518
Press to contact: Ms. M. Moulin-Acevedo, direct tel: +41-22-917-2856
Telex: 41 42 42 dha ch
I. DISASTER OVERVIEW