125,000 people assisted in MARCH 2019
3,005 mt of food assistance distributed
2,246 kcal/person/day provided through the general food basket
US$ 5.6 m six months (April–September 2019) net funding requirements
• In March, as part of General Food Assistance (GFA), WFP distributed 125,000 rations consisting of 8 kg wheat flour, 2 kg rice, 2 kg barley, 2 kg of yellow split peas, 1 kg CSB, 1kg sugar, and 1 litre of fortified vegetable oil. The ration was complemented with 1 kg gofio (roasted maize meal), which is part of an inkind donation from the Spanish region of Gran Canaria. Thanks to the complementary Gofio the energy intake of the March ration reached 2,246 kcal/day (2,100 kcal planned).
• Delays in the arrival of locally-procured wheat flour delayed the distribution process, however all commodities were distributed through the 116 final distribution points by the end of the month.
• Other humanitarian actors complemented WFP’s food assistance through the distribution of fresh food (1kg of onions, 1 kg of potatoes), 200g yeast and 1kg of gluten free flour for celiac patients.
• Under its nutrition activity, WFP distributed daily rations of pre-mix 100g corn soya blend (CSB+) and 10g vegetable oil to treat moderate acute malnutrition (MAM) among 741 pregnant and lactating women (PLW).
• For the prevention of malnutrition in PLW, WFP is exploring the distribution of fresh food vouchers.
WFP is searching for funding for this activity.
• To prevent chronic malnutrition, 13,076 boys and girls under five took home daily rations of 10g of a special spread (Nutributter) as part of a blanket supplementary feeding activity in health centres.
Additionally, 403 children received the specialized nutrition product (Plumpy’Sup) for the treatment of MAM.
• As part of its School Feeding Programme, WFP distributed mid-morning snacks consisting of 80g of milk and 50g of High Energy Biscuits to 30,843 boys and girls in all primary and intermediary camp schools, and 8,113 children in camp kindergartens.