The Ministry of National Security is issuing the following update from the Emergency Measures Organisation (EMO) regarding Hurricane Florence. The public is advised that as of this afternoon (Sept. 6):
- Hurricane Florence is 970nm away to our ESE, moving at 9kts as a Cat 2 storm.
- Its closest point of approach within the next 72 hours is predicted to be 544nm to the ESE at 12 noon on Sunday 9 September, this distance will decrease for each forecast over the next three days.
- The storm is expected to weaken to a Cat 1, and then strengthen to a Cat 3 by Sunday.
- Public Transportation, Schools and Government Offices will be open Monday as normal.
- The EMO anticipates meeting on Monday.
- The EMO will provide public updates on September 7, 8 & 9 at 3.00 p.m.
- Visit the link to get more information on Hurricane Florence:
The public are reminded of the following storm preparation tips:
- Ensure all repairs are complete around the house including shutter repairs and storm boards are ready to go up if needed
- Have an analogue phone in case the power goes out
- Have one or two spare battery packs for your cell phone
- Have a radio that runs on batteries that can tune into the Emergency Radio Station 100.1fm
- Have adequate medication for yourself, your family or pets to last you two weeks
- Have spare batteries for flashlights and other equipment
- Place all essential documents in a safe place in a water proof and fireproof container
- Make sure your insurance is up to date on your house, its contents, car, bike and boat
- Have an adequate supply of non-perishable food to last your family at least five days
- Make sure your household first aid kit is restocked and your fire extinguisher is in date