1,762,314 mt of food assistance distributed
1,753 kcal/person/day provided through the food basket
US$ 5.2 m six months (August 2018 - January 2019) net funding requirements
125,000 people assisted in July 2018
• In July, due to funding constraints, WFP distributed a reduced food basket, distributing 125,000 rations consisting of 8kg wheat flour, 0.5kg rice, 1kg lentils, 1kg CSB, 1kg sugar and 1liter fortified vegetable oil.
The food basket only reached 1,753 kcal/person (vs. 2.100 kcal).
• Refugee women, men, boys and girls also received 1.5kg of dates as part of the general food assistance (GFA).
• WFP distributed daily rations of pre-mix 100g Corn Soya Blend (CSB+) and 10g vegetable oil to treat Moderate Acute Malnutrition (MAM) amongst 633 pregnant women and nursing mothers.
• To prevent chronic malnutrition, 12,810 boys and girls under five took home daily rations of 10g of a special spread (Nutributter).
• The specialized nutrition product (Plumpy’sup) for the treatment of moderate acute malnutrition in children arrived late in the camps and thus was not available for distribution this month.
• Resuming the provision of micronutrient powders (MNPs) to prevent micronutrient deficiencies in pregnant and nursing women (PNW) is pending results from the ongoing decentralized evaluation of the nutrition activity on the role of WFP in the field of nutrition, the intersectoral coordination and the reformulation of the nutrition activity.
• WFP decided to resume distribution of fortified wheat flour to counter the high prevalence of anaemia. Since this wheat flour must be procured internationally at higher costs, WFP is trying to mitigate the impact on the GFA in the coming months to decrease the likelihood of distribution gaps.