Ref: OCHA/GVA - 2006/0223
OCHA Situation Report No. 1
Turkey - Floods
This situation report is based on information received from the UN Resident Coordinator's Office in Turkey.
1. Over the last week, rivers swollen by torrential rains have caused flash floods across Turkey. The worst affected areas have been the south-eastern provinces of ?anliurfa, Diyarbakir, Sirnak and Batman; however parts of Istanbul and Mersin provinces have also been affected. Flooding began on 28 October, and by 5 November 39 people had been reported killed, 8 people remained missing, 988 houses had been damaged, and schools were closed for two days in affected areas. An estimated 63,000 people have been affected. The highest death toll was in the city of Batman.
2. Floods also destroyed bridges and roads, caused telephone and power failures and killed hundreds of livestock.
National and International Response
3. Government of Turkey aid agencies have provided food for 6,000 people in Batman, and 1,200 military troops have joined local rescue services to evacuate those in danger across the affected provinces. Local authorities opened municipal buildings, including sports centres, to house evacuated families. The Directorate General has sent 3,075 blankets, 200 tents, 3 mobile kitchens, 150 beds and 100 camping beds to assist with the relief effort. The Government has also allocated a further 1 million YTL (USD 690,000) to cities affected by the floods. Governmental bodies, including the General Directorate of Highways, are working to clear debris and damage on the roads blocked by the flooding.
4. The Turkish Red Crescent Society (TRCS) has sent relief items, a mobile kitchen, support personnel and logistics material to Ceylanpinar where it is providing non-food items, hot food and basic health care. Relief items, water and 2 mobile kitchens have been sent to Surac County, ?anliurfa Province; together with food parcels. Mobile kitchens, food rations and other relief items have also been distributed in the Cinar and Bismil districts of Diyarbakir Province, the Silopi and Uludere districts of Sirnak province, and the town of Batman.
5. TRCS, in coordination with the Istanbul Metropolitan Municipality Disaster Coordination Centre, has provided bedding to affected populations in Istanbul province.
6. The UN Inter-Agency Standing Committee Country Team has been mobilized to review needs and response. OCHA is coordinating with the Team and remains in close contact with the UN RC office and will provide further information as it becomes available. This situation report, together with additional information on other ongoing emergencies, is also available on http://www.reliefweb.int.
Tel. +41-22-917 1234
Fax: +41-22-917 00 23
In case of emergency only: Tel. +41-22-917 20 10
(GVA) - Ms. Rachel Scott-Leflaive
Direct Tel. +41-22-917 1915
(N.Y.) - Mr. Ignacio León-García
direct Tel. +1-917-367 9960
(GVA) - Ms. Elisabeth Byrs, Direct Tel.
(N.Y.) - Ms. Stephanie Bunker, Direct Tel. +1-917-367 5126