The Emergency Appeal seeks 7,421,586 Swiss francs to enable the International Federation of Red Cross and Red Crescent Societies (IFRC) to support the Democratic People’s Republic of Korea Red Cross Society (DPRK RCS) in delivering assistance and support to 330,000 people (82,500 households) affected by the floods for 16 months.
The requirement for additional international staff as surge support has also been established and in the revised appeal there is a provision for one operation manager for three months, one WASH delegate for 12 months as well as two national staff for logistics and DRM.
- 13 September 2016 – Emergency Plan of Action for allocation from the IFRC Disaster Relief Emergency Fund (DREF) launched to support 20,000 people for 6 months with CHF 506,810 to ensure that the immediate needs of flood-affected population are met through provision and replenishment of essential household and shelter items.
- 20 September 2016 – Emergency Appeal was launched to support 28,000 people for 12 months with provision of health and care, WASH, Shelter, essential household items distribution and replenishment, winterization and DRR /Capacity building assistance. The IFRC initially sought CHF 15,199,723 to support the operation.
- 23 September 2016 – Operation Update No. 1 was made on September 23 that outlined the support details for immediate humanitarian needs of 28,000 people (7,000 families) in North Hamgyong Province, highlighting the programmes and services under this operation to directly support the affected communities across the Province.
- 27 October 2016 – Operation Update No. 2 was published to reflect the progress on relief activities conducted by DPRK RCS and highlighted the lack of funds leading to numerous activities that could not be executed.
- 5 January 2017 – Emergency Appeal Revision was made to prioritize the activities based on immediate needs. The IFRC sought CHF 7,421,586 to support the 330,000 people for 12 months with provision of health and care, WASH, Shelter, essential household items distribution and subsequent replenishment, winterization and DRR /capacity building assistance.
- 27 April 2017 - Operation Update No. 3 (six months report) was published to reflect the progress on relief and rehabilitation activities conducted by DPRK RCS during the first six months of the emergency appeal operation.
As of today, 62 per cent of the total appeal has been covered (see donor response) through contributions received from partners and donors. On behalf of the DPRK Red Cross Society, IFRC would like to thank all partners and donors for the generous contribution towards the appeal.
Partners and donors are encouraged to pledge support towards the remaining 38 per cent of the appeal gap as there are still unmet needs existing in the affected community.