**Citizens of Kenya, Ghana, Senegal, and South Africa or permanent residents authorized to work in these countries will only be considered. This position is contingent on funding.
IREX is an independent nonprofit organization dedicated to building a more just, prosperous, and inclusive world by empowering youth, cultivating leaders, strengthening institutions, and extending access to quality education and information. Founded in 1968, IREX has an annual portfolio of over $100 million, offices in 20 countries, and a global staff of 600. We work in more than 100 countries worldwide.
IREX seeks qualified Finance & Operations Director candidates to support the premiere Young African Leaders Initiative (YALI). This program will empower and connect young African leaders as they spur inclusive economic growth and prosperity, strengthen democratic governance, and enhance peace and security across sub-Saharan Africa. The Finance & Operations Director will be based in an African country and help to ensure efficient and compliant implementation that delivers objectives on time and within budget.
Summary of Responsibilities
- Ensure that the program meets all IREX, USAID and host country regulations and requirements related to USAID funds usage, accountability, and operations within the country
- Track and analyze all costs incurred under the award; oversee all payments;
- Monitor program budget and advise senior management on burn rates and other programmatic considerations; provide complete and compliant required reporting; and maintain financial records for all program activities;
- Overseeing subgrantee budgets and expenditures; provide relevant capacity building on financial and operational requirements for local partners as needed;
- Supervise Finance and Operations team across several geographic regions;
- Ensure that appropriate financial record-keeping policies and practices are established and maintained throughout the life of the program;
- Ensure that all financial management and procurement is conducted in compliance with IREX policy and U.S. government regulations;
- Oversee all office expenditures and staff transportation/vehicles; lead human resource management;
- Lead the coordinated establishment of all financial and operational systems during start-up across multiple sub-offices located in different geographical regions;
- Liaise with IREX home office financial, compliance and field operations teams; and
- Other duties, as assigned.
Required Skills and Qualifications
- Kenyan, Ghanaian, Senegalese, or South African country citizenship or residency with work authorization in these countries is required.
- A graduate degree in a relevant social or administrative science, with at least eight (8) years of experience in Africa in the administration of international donor-funded programs; or an undergraduate degree in a relevant social or administrative science with at least 10 years of experience in the administration of donor-funded programs. Candidates with experience implementing USAID-funded programs strongly preferred.
- Previous experience as a Deputy Chief of Party, Director of Administration and Finance, Operations Manager, or another senior managerial role on international donor-funded programs.
- Demonstrated knowledge of management processes and systems from start-up to close out, such as human resources management and development (including performance evaluation), financial management, fraud prevention measures, and management of employee compensation systems.
- Ability to compile and prepare financial and budget data in-line with USG rules and regulations.
- Experience analyzing budget trends and monitoring funding levels across multiple accounts and geographies.
- Expertise with procedures required for adequate planning, monitoring, and realigning of complex budgets.
- Demonstrated ability to work with host government and cooperating partners in implementing a complex program in the field under challenging circumstances.
- Skilled in managing and compiling financial data for reporting and ensuring compliance with all donor requirements.
- Ability to successfully manage and develop staff in a multi-cultural setting as demonstrated by past experience.
- Excellent computer skills as they relate to financial management.
- Excellent interpersonal and teamwork skills.
- Fluency in written and spoken English is required.
Click on https://app.jobvite.com/j?cj=oF2Fkfwq&s=ReliefWeb to submit your CV in English along with a cover letter summarizing your qualifications and stating your salary expectations for consideration.