Citizens of Kenya, Ghana, Senegal, and South Africa or permanent residents authorized to work in these countries are strongly encouraged to apply. This position is contingent on funding.
IREX is an independent nonprofit organization dedicated to building a more just, prosperous, and inclusive world by empowering youth, cultivating leaders, strengthening institutions, and extending access to quality education and information. Founded in 1968, IREX has an annual portfolio of over $100 million, offices in 20 countries, and a global staff of 600. We work in more than 100 countries worldwide.
IREX seeks qualified Chief of Party candidates to support the premiere Young African Leaders Initiative (YALI). This program will empower and connect young African leaders as they spur inclusive economic growth and prosperity, strengthen democratic governance, and enhance peace and security across sub-Saharan Africa. The Chief of Party will be based in an African country and will provide overall activity oversight and leadership.
Summary of Responsibilities
- Provide strategic and technical leadership to the program, including a comprehensive vision for an expanded Pan-African youth leadership development model that leverages prior gains while innovating to achieve three long-term transformational outcomes: 1) Strengthen leadership skills among young African leaders to meet the needs of their communities, countries, and the continent; 2) Empower leaders and create youth networks to shape the development of their communities to promote good governance, expand economic prosperity, peace and security, and inclusive and equitable health, education, and livelihoods; 3) Harness and leverage the contributions of diverse partners to harmonize development efforts, increase the impact and reach of Pan-African youth leaders, and catalyze sustainable economic growth and opportunities between the U.S. and Africa.
- Serve as principal liaison with USAID and develop productive collaborative relationships with a wide range of key stakeholders across the continent, including YALI Regional Leadership Centers, universities, government officials, other donors and implementers, civil society and private sector partners, program beneficiaries, and others.
- Develop strong collaborative, supportive, and mutually respectful relationships with diverse team members, with other leaders at IREX, and with leaders at key stakeholder and partner organizations.
- Ensure program activities are implemented on schedule, within budget, and coordinated to maximize efficiency and effectiveness across regions.
- Oversee program budgeting and forecasting, financial management, compliance and subgrants management.
- Oversee monitoring, evaluation, learning, and reporting to ensure the program adapts as needed to meet objectives and learning is acquired and shared broadly to maximize impact and sustainability.
- Oversee and help to drive a private sector engagement strategy.
- Integrate diversity, equity, and inclusion throughout program implementation while also promoting an evidence-based positive youth development approach.
- Supervise, manage, and mentor program staff; lead recruitment of specialized technical staff.
- Other duties, as assigned.
Required Skills and Qualifications
- Kenyan, Ghanaian, Senegalese, or South African country citizenship or residency with work authorization to be able to work in one of these countries is required.
- Bachelor’s degree in a related field required; master’s degree highly preferred.
- Minimum 10 years of progressive experience required.
- Successful track record of at least seven (7) years supervising, managing, and implementing USAID-funded programs and or other related donor-funded programming, with at least 5 years of experience managing programs in Africa.Preference for experience managing complex, large-scale, multi-region programming.
- Demonstrated experience and expertise in Positive Youth Development (PYD) approaches that support youth to contribute to their full potential.
- Proven leadership qualities including a leadership style that is empowering to team members, follows principles of Positive Youth Development, and instills diversity, equity, and inclusion.
- Technical expertise in youth leadership development; youth leadership training and professional development; network development; alumni engagement; and diverse partner engagement.
- Demonstrated experience supporting youth leaders to spur inclusive economic growth and/or promote good governance in their communities.
- Proven coaching and mentoring approach to management and leadership to collaborate effectively with others and build the capacities of those in the program leadership team.
- Excellent management, communication, representational, and organizational skills.
- Demonstrated capacity to develop collaborative, supportive, and mutually-respectful relationships with other diverse adult and youth leaders.
- Demonstrated entrepreneurial mindset, to plan strategically and creatively to meet program objectives, with a focus on innovation.
- Ability to establish strong working relationships with senior officials in government, with youth-led organizations, civil society organizations, international donors, and other stakeholders.
Please click https://app.jobvite.com/j?cj=oZXFkfwF&s=ReliefWeb to submit your CV and cover letter for consideration.