The Netherlands Refugee Foundation / Stichting Vluchteling is an emergency relief organization that worldwide supports partner organizations to assist displaced populations. In case of acute need, the Netherlands Refugee Foundation provides funding to international and national partners in order to provide direct assistance, such as shelter, medical care, clean drinking water and sanitation. In the Netherlands, the Refugee Foundation provides information to the Dutch public about the situation of refugees and internally displaced as well as about emergency aid in general.
Stichting Vluchteling currently has a diverse and enthusiastic team with around 40 employees, working predominately from The Hague. The working atmosphere is informal yet decisive, which is necessary to be able to react fast in case of emergencies.
Currently we are looking for a full time (80% - 100%) Program Officer – East Africa
The program officer is responsible for managing grants that are provided from SV to both local and international aid organizations; in order to implement humanitarian emergency aid programmes for refugees and displaced persons. The current position is responsible for relationship management with partners in Eastern Africa (incl. Horn of Africa).
Next to that, the program officer will contribute actively to the achievement of the strategic plan. Key dossiers this position will contribute to are the shaping and implementing of our local partner policy, the implementation of MEAL policies, and attaining the CHS verification status.
Position within the organisation
The program officer is part of the Programs and Advocacy department and reports to the head of this department. The team currently consists of 7 program employees, 2 employees for the Non-Communicable Diseases/Mental Health project, 1 advisor Humanitarian Access, and 2 employees working on lobby and advocacy.
With the ambition to develop ourselves further as a partner rather than a donor, as per September a SV-team will start working in the Ukraine as well, which will bring the organization closer to the field. This team consists of a team leader, a medical coordinator, a humanitarian access advisor, a communication advisor and a program officer.
The overall project team also works closely with the Communications, Fundraising and Finance departments.
What does the job involve?
- Management of grants to international and local partners, including contract management.
- Monitoring and evaluating aid programs from the Netherlands and during field trips.
- Actively respond to the humanitarian context and humanitarian needs, with a focus on Eastern Africa.
- Actively contribute to the elaboration of the local partner policy and the implementation of this policy with the team and the local partners.
- Contribute to the development of an organizational capacity and risk assessment tool and capacity strengthening processes with local partners.
- Support the implementation of a new Monitoring, Evaluation, Accountability and Learning (MEAL) policy.
- Support the implementation of the improvement plan for the Core Humanitarian Standard (CHS).
- Drawing up substantive briefings for informational and fundraising campaigns.
- Where necessary, co-writing financing proposals for external financiers such as the Ministry of Foreign Affairs (via the Dutch Relief Alliance - DRA), the Cooperating Aid Organizations – SHO (GIRO555) and the National Postcode Lottery - NPL.
- Participation in relevant external consultations, such as the Dutch Relief Alliance.
What do we expect from you?
- Relevant education at university and/or HBO level.
- At least five years of demonstrable foreign work experience in the field of refugees and humanitarian aid.
- Experience with project management cycles and with monitoring and evaluation of aid in the field.
- Experience in working with local partners and capacity building, both on a policy and practical level.
- Familiarity with the working methods of the Ministry of Foreign Affairs, DRA, (SHO) and NPL has added value.
- Strong numerical insight and analytical skills.
- Also willing to make extra efforts outside regular working hours and during emergency relief actions.
- Excellent oral and written expression skills in English, knowledge of Dutch and/or French are strong advantages, but is not a requirement.
- Enthusiastic, creative, enterprising.
- Willingness to travel, also (especially) to areas where there is a humanitarian crisis or conflict situation.
- You endorse the aims and goals of SV
- Your nationality, or a work permit, permits you to work in the Netherlands, Stichting Vluchteling is not in the position to apply for a work permit for this position.
- You live within travelling distance of The Hague. SV has a work-from-home policy that makes it possible to work partly from home, but presence at the office is also regularly expected.
- The start date can be agreed upon in consultation, but the preference is per 1 October, or as soon as possible.
What do we offer?
- A dynamic position in an enthusiastic organization of approximately 40 employees.
- A position with room for own initiative and new ideas.
- An employment contract for initially one year with the prospect of extension.
- Salary and working conditions appropriate to a good cause, depending on education, experience and age.
Stichting Vluchteling has a Code of Conduct, containing the values and principles of the Refugee Foundation, including with regard to integrity & reliability and the prevention of any form of discrimination and / or abuse of power. Every employee must endorse these and act accordingly at all times. Taking references and requesting a Certificate of Good Conduct (VOG) are part of the application procedure. Stichting Vluchteling participates in the Inter-Agency Misconduct Disclosure Scheme.
Something for you? Then respond as soon as possible.
Send an e-mail before 2 October 2022 with your motivation and your resume to Benoit de Gryse, via email@example.com stating "Vacancy Program Officer East Africa". Applicants will be notified before 7 October 2022.
For more information about this vacancy, please contact Benoit de Gryse during office hours: 070 346 89 46.