About the European Climate Foundation
The European Climate Foundation (ECF) was founded in 2008 as a major philanthropic initiative to help tackle climate change by fostering the development of a low-carbon society at the national, European, and global levels.
We support over 500 partner organisations to carry out activities that contribute to the public debate on climate action, drive urgent and ambitious policy in support of the objectives of the Paris Agreement and help deliver a socially responsible transition to a net-zero emissions economy and sustainable society in Europe and around the world.
The ECF brings together diverse perspectives and backgrounds to find the best innovative solutions to tackle climate change. We are focusing on engaging and hiring great people from a wide diversity of backgrounds to strengthen the cause. If you share our values of respect, innovation, and collaboration, join us.
About the role
The position of Senior Associate - Culture offers a unique opportunity for an individual with a sincere interest in climate change and popular culture. If you want to drive communication efforts which help increase political pressure for climate action by mobilising unusual voices, engaging new audiences and influencing public discourse across cultural communities - from sports fans to gamers to opera-goers - then this is for you.
As part of a global network of communications experts specialised in climate change and focused on strengthening media debate and public discourse, the successful candidate will deliver strategic plans and implement initiatives through a cultural lens with the aim of engaging with communities, groups and partners who are able to to engage wider audiences on climate.
The successful candidate will have previous experience in working with diverse groups and supporting cultural initiatives, as well as a flair for building networks, designing interventions and tracking debates internationally. We are looking for someone with a track record in cross cultural settings and collaborations who is used to working on time bound projects. Previous experience working with environmental or climate groups is desirable though not essential.
The right candidate combines strategic communications with a demonstrated interest in tracking new trends, international networking experience and the ability to champion intersectional culture narratives. With your entrepreneurial mindset, you are comfortable managing diverse parallel projects with a broad set of different partners.
This role would suit someone with a background in lifestyle journalism or communications, managing cultural initiatives, market research, digital PR, corporate marketing, and NGO campaigning. It would be an ideal fit for someone who wants to dedicate their skills and passion to the climate movement, opening up new spaces for new audiences and working closely with the media on amplifying the cultural solutions we need to embrace in order to fight the climate crisis and secure a safe and just future for all.
- Tracking and analysing conversations across a broad range of cultural venues and communities to identify trends and opportunities at an international level
- Building and maintaining trusted relationships with key actors, organisations and journalists in these diverse spaces
- Developing and implementing communication strategies (integrating climate change narratives) to influence debate and discourse in targeted scenes,
- Identifying, engaging, mobilising and supporting relevant voices across venues and communities, including work with colleagues to provide digital and media support
- Supporting our thematic leads and country teams around their cultural interventions, e.g. analysis, planning, networking, or tracking.
- Working closely with our Audience Insights hub on segmenting and analysing audiences to inform the design of content and the choice of messengers and channels for engaging them
- Acting as a source of insight, orientation, intelligence and contacts for colleagues and partners on cultural venues and interventions
- Monitoring the impact and outcomes of any initiatives and interventions towards improved strategies and optimised engagement
Experience and competencies
- Significant proven experience (5 years or more) in leading cultural initiatives or a background in lifestyle journalism, NGO communications, or market research and trend analysis
- A track record of creating impactful strategies based on research and analysis, such as social listening data or behavioural data insight
- Solid grasp of different means of communication, ranging from digital platforms to public events as ways to reach and engage audiences
- International outlook and extraordinary networking skills, driven by an entrepreneurial mindset and cultural curiosity
- Strong communication skills and the ability to communicate effectively to a wide range of media and stakeholders, including excellent spoken and written English
- Reliable, efficient and diligent project manager who can work both independently and as part of a team
- Versatile and adaptable skills necessary to flourish in a fast-paced and wide-ranging global network, operating remotely and across time zones
- Strong diplomatic skills and interpersonal relations, ability to quickly build trust with partners and colleagues
- Excellent time and priority management, high level of self-motivation, independence and can-do mentality, with a passion for excellence
- The disposition to work generously with colleagues in a high-trust and values based global community of peers
- Successful track record in campaigning and/or strategic communications, ideally in multiple international scenes and contexts
- Experience with celebrity management, image building, digital profiling or media training
- Sufficient gravitas to work directly with high profile individuals and partners from diverse backgrounds at all levels
- Strong vision and the ability to make sound decisions in highly pressured environments
- An instinct for creative storytelling, and the ability to craft stories and media products to build, support or amplify existing media narratives advocating for a low carbon transition
- Additional languages and intercultural experience a plus
What we offer
- The unique opportunity to work as part of a highly dynamic, international group of individuals who combine their passion to make a difference with a rigorous and results-oriented approach to work
- A flexible work environment and a space to develop and challenge yourself
- A full-time contract, whether consultancy or employment (subject to location)
- A competitive remuneration (relevant to location)
Co-location with colleagues depends on location, working from home is an option.
We are unable to provide sponsorship for work permits. .
As soon as possible
How to apply
- CV (maximum 2 pages)
- short cover letter (maximum 1 page) expressing your motivation for this role
- Answer to the following questions (Maximum 300 words)
"In 300 words, develop a pitch for how a specific cultural community could be engaged on climate issues. Give details of how you would identify this audience, the tactics you would use, and the impact you would aim to achieve".