For more than 40 years, Médecins du Monde, a campaigning medical organisation committed to international solidarity, has been caring for the most vulnerable populations at home and abroad. It has continued to highlight obstacles that exist in accessing health care and has secured sustainable improvements in health-for-all policies.
Those working for this independent organisation do not solely dispense care and treatment but condemn violations of human dignity and rights and fight to improve matters for populations living in precarious situations.
MdM currently works in more than 30 countries across all continents where it focuses on 5 priority areas: emergency and crisis, sexual and reproductive health, harm reduction, migrants and displaced populations (health rights), health and environment.
MdM France has been working in Ethiopia since 1986 in different types of projects from long-term interventions to emergency response. MdM France has concentrated its efforts on projects related to basic access to primary health care (projects centred on rural health facilities and isolated populations), reduction of maternal mortality through improved quality of obstetric care, promotion of Sexual and Reproductive Health (SRH) rights including protection against Gender Based Violence (GBV), provision of Mental Health and Psychosocial (MHPSS) support and reduction of malnutrition.
After a period of uncertainty, the mission has recently significantly grown. Although the Covid19 pandemic was a challenge for the teams and the programming, in 2020 and 2021 it has expended with its current programming in Semera (Afar) and Chinaksen (Oromia) where MdM France leads a consortium with COOPI and MdM Germany, and solid prospects for intervention in connection with the conflict in some parts of the country. The mission has also reshaped after the hand over of its project in Somali region to MdM Germany in May 2021. The two MdM chapters have developed a partnership where MdM France ensures coordination for both sections in the country in addition to logistics and technical support to MdM Germany.
In the current context of strong instability, the primary challenge for the mission will be to get prepared to support the health system responding to the needs that might arise. From a general perspective however - Ethiopia regularly facing emergencies (internal displacement, outbreaks, drought, etc.) - the mission will also have to be alert and be able to react if needed in addition to maintaining the smooth running of its current projects. Finally, the coordination with MdM Germany must continue to be developed and improved.
TASKS AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
You supervise and coordinate all the activities of the mission and make sure it complies with the contract of objectives, while guaranteeing the safety of property and people.
- Plan the entire mission and assess programmes, supervise and organise their implementation
- Ensure the safety of people and property for the entire mission, supervise and organise the implementation of safety rules and ensure that decisions are applied
- Define the general organisation of the mission and the staff, manage and supervise the coordination team, ensure the quality of the working conditions
- Maintain communication between the mission and the headquarters
- Ensure compliance with the administrative and legal framework of the country and the rules and regulations of the mission
- Supervise the drawing-up of the budgets, approve any eventual adjustments, ensure the quality of the budgetary follow-up, as well as the safety and transparency of funds use
- Raise funds in the field, guaranteeing that the contract of objectives defined by the donors is fulfilled and that contractual obligations are respected
- Carry out negotiations and maintain regular relations with the local, regional and federal authorities and partners of the mission, ensure the respect of agreements and contracts
- Organise relations and communication with the head office of MdM France, ensuring the quality of the submitted reports on activities and ensure compliance with procedures for the exchange of information and reporting
- Manage potential contacts with the media, transmit MdM France’s official positioning to the staff and to the media, ensure the consistency of MdM France's positioning
- Heighten the staff’s awareness on human rights and humanitarian principles, collect and spread data collections according to the directives of the Department of health unit, make sure that the actions led are coherent and that MdM France’s procedure on the gathering of testimonies is respected
- Maintain the link with MdM Germany mission in the field and ensure compliance with the agreed MoUs with them
CONDITIONS OF EMPLOYMENT:
Status : Employee
Contract : Fixed-term contract
Duration : 12 mois
Starting date: as soon as possible
Gross monthly salary: 3429 euros
Premium equal to one month salary paid in two instalments - minimum of 6 months seniority required
Expatriation bonus (10% gross salary per month)
Transportation cost, vaccines and visas covered
22.5 RTT (recovery days) per year
5 weeks of paid leaves per year
Health insurance (60% covered by MdM and 40% by the employee)
Teleworking agreement for positions eligible to telework: 110 days/year (minimum of 1 day per week onsite), minimum of 6 months seniority required
Given the current circumstances of Covid-19 pandemic, we are taking special measures to apply health protocols and hygiene measures to guarantee the safety of our staff.
Médecins du Monde promotes trainings and internal mobility
SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE NEEDED:
Master's degree in human rights, humanitarian project management or related fields
Public health background or medical background is a plus
At least 5 years in an international NGO, in a similar position and in emergency contexts (mandatory)
Experience with a medical NGO mandatory
Team management and project management skills
Experience with SRH, SGBV, sex work, harm reduction programs an asset
Security management skills
Ability to work under pressure
Strong communication skills with strong sense of diplomacy
Drafting and reporting skills
Technical skills in assessment, monitoring and evaluation
Ability and flexibility to understand the cultural and political environment and work with the communities and local authorities
Adaptability and capacity to take initiatives to changing requirements
Ability to lead and work as part of a team of expatriate and national staff
Computer skills : Microsoft Office, internet and data management
Languages : fluent English (written and spoken) mandatory
French is an asset.
You embrace the core values and support the proactive philosophy of Médecins du Monde.
TELEPHONE APPLICATIONS WILL NOT BE ACCEPTED
Médecins du Monde reserves the right to fill the vacancy before the closing date for applications.
MdM stands up for the integration of people living with disabilities and fights against discrimination.
How to Apply
To apply, click on the following link: http://www.jobs.net/j/JOOnBPfj?idpartenaire=128