Role & Responsibilities
Oversee the provision of the logistical support for the programme. The Logistics Manager is responsible for ensuring an effective supply chain is in place at all times, and that standard logistics and related administrative systems are established and implemented within Medair country programmes. The role provides strategic direction, management and evaluation of all aspects of logistics, ensuring relevant information, reporting and accountability requirements are met. The Logistics Manager also plays an important role in external representation, legal compliance, team leadership and capacity building of logistics staff.
Emergency health projects targeting displaced, conflict-affected and vulnerable populations in NE Congo. Developmental projects aimed at long term and sustainable behaviour change in general population and state health employees to improve public health outcomes.
Workplace & Working Conditions
Field based position in Goma, Democratic Republic of Congo with frequent visits to field locations.
Starting Date / Initial Contract Details
As soon as possible. Full time, 24 months.
Key Activity Areas
Logistics Management – Supply chain
- Provide technical oversight and ensure proper supply chain management practices and procedures are in place according to Medair standards to provide optimum support.
- Proactively engage with key staff to ensure project planning and budgeting incorporates adequate funding for logistics capacity and resources. Provide support for, and carry out logistics assessments.
- Support the management of the procurement process in an efficient & cost-effective manner.
- Locate and negotiate contracting for storage/warehousing that is secure, well-maintained, and meets health and safe working practice requirements. Ensure international and national transportation of freight by land, sea and air is in line with programme budgets and needs; ensuring the most cost effective and reliable means of transport is used for the timely delivery of supplies to projects.
- Support the maintenance of accurate filing systems, with documented and supported records of logistics transactions for audit purposes, and submit logistics reports to the in-country management team, and GSO logistics pursuant with Medair policies and procedures.
Logistics Management – Resources
- Ensure management of vehicle fleets; ensure appropriate allocation and safe use of vehicles throughout the programme and ensure servicing and maintenance schedules are adhered to. Ensure usage of fuel is correctly supervised, logged and recorded.
- Serve as Asset Management Focal Point for the Country Programme through the supervision and coordination of all matters regarding all types of equipment and assets including communication, IT and power, to ensure that equipment are managed diligently.
- Liaise with the landlord(s) to ensure proper maintenance and optimum availability of facilities and utilities (e.g. electricity, water, phone-lines, physical security and building repairs). Ensure regular backups are done for all computers throughout the programme and that virus updates and routine computer maintenance is carried out.
- Represent Medair in a professional manner contributing to the creation of a positive image and overall credibility of the organization, notably through the application of Medair’s mandate, ethics and values.
- Proactively engage with suppliers, partners, local authorities, other NGOs and clusters to plan, organise, and schedule distribution of goods and material to ensure good coordination and adequate information sharing, address common concerns/problems and seek solutions.
- Compile and validate the logistics component of all base and project budgets. Monitor spending of assigned budgets, and ensure they operate in line with guidelines for financial accounting and reporting practices.
- Manage and motivate staff with integrity and foresight, to ensure that they maintain the highest standards of accountability and professionalism. This includes recruitment, appraisal, objective setting, performance review, producing development plans, determination of training needs, etc.
- Ensure that all logistics and relevant programme staff are adequately trained and, if necessary, create possibilities for capacity building, mentoring and coaching. Provide cross training to project managers and other staff on warehouse and (drug) supply chain procedures to enable monitoring and spot checking of remote warehouses and stock points. Coordinate the delivery of training for national staff to increase their responsibilities in order to build capacity, and ensure sustainability of programs.
- Attend all relevant external coordination and security meetings and feedback information, as applicable, to the appropriate managers and staff. Ensure security procedures for Goma base are in place, guidelines are kept up-to-date and staff receive relevant security information. This includes reviewing security arrangements on a regular basis, maintaining communication, providing briefings and ensuring the availability of emergency equipment.
- In particular, ensure that movement procedures are adhered to by Goma-based Medair drivers.
- Provide support in managing security incidents as required, including the writing of incident reports.
Deployment and adoption of Microsoft Dynamics 365 ERP System
- Ensure Medair COD is participating actively in MS D365 implementation project by providing required data on time and sharing field experiences/perspectives that could be useful in configuring the MS D365 system. Work closely with the GSO-based D365 Manager to achieve this objective.
- Evaluate the country programme’s readiness to implement the ERP. Make plans to mitigate identified weaknesses. The plans could include capacity building and expansion of infrastructural capacity and equipment.
- Promote and use the Medair intranet, ensuring that all standardised formats and guidelines are used.
- Review, develop and implement systems to improve transparency. Ensure adequate anti-fraud procedures are in place to detect and ultimately prevent loss or fraud.
Team Spiritual Life
- Reflect the values of Medair with team members, local staff, beneficiaries, and external contacts.
- Work, live, and pray together in our Christian faith-based team settings. Fully contribute to the rich spiritual life of your team, including team devotions, prayers, and words of encouragement.
- Encouraged to join and contribute to Medair’s international prayer network.
This job description covers the main tasks that are anticipated. Other tasks may be assigned as necessary.
- Professional qualification in logistics or training in Supply Chain Management, Business Management.
- Strong working knowledge of English and French (spoken and written).
- Minimum 2 years relevant logistics and management experience in emergency context.
- Experience of the management of budgets and the ability to prepare timely, complete and accurate reports.
- Experience working in a cross-cultural setting, preferable in the logistics sector.
All new deploying international staff to Medair’s country programmes (and other roles which require field travel) should be fully vaccinated with a WHO-approved COVID vaccine, supported with a COVID vaccination certificate as evidence.
Как подать заявку
Before you apply
Please ensure you are fully aware of the:
b) Medair is committed to safeguarding the protection of beneficiaries, volunteers, staff and partners, and particularly children. Therefore, we do not employ staff whose background we understand to be unsuitable for working with children. Medair staff are required to give the utmost respect to, and comply with, Medair’s accountability policies and best practices
c) Key Profiles & Benefits Package provided for Internationally Recruited Staff (IRS).
d) Medair Relief & Recovery Orientation Course (ROC) (which forms part of the recruitment selection process for field positions).
To apply, go to this vacancy on our Medair page.
Please do not make multiple applications. We will not review email applications. Only English-language applications / CVs will be reviewed.