Catholic Relief Services is the official international humanitarian agency of the Catholic community in the United States. CRS works to save, protect, and transform lives in need in more than 100 countries, without regard to race, religion or nationality. CRS’ relief and development work is accomplished through programs of emergency response, HIV, health, agriculture, education, microfinance and peacebuilding.
The safeguarding team sits within the Ethics Unit and was established in 2019. The safeguarding team have two overarching areas of focus: investigations of alleged safeguarding related misconduct and developing, enhancing, and overseeing the agency’s safeguarding related systems. This internship is looking for a current undergraduate or graduate student seeking to obtain work experience that aligns with his/her studies in Social Work/Psych ology/International Development/Public Policy and/or to fulfill requirements for an academic course or degree.
The successful candidate will provide logistical and substantive support to the development of tools and resources and the roll out of trainings on:
- Partner safeguarding minimum standards
- Core safeguarding investigation skills – for CRS staff
- The development of investigation procedures – for CRS implementing partners
Roles and Key Responsibilities
The selected candidate will:
- Develop and review training materials and ensure coherence across the training content and layout
- Coordinate the compilation and distribution of pre reading and other documents
- Attend trainings
- Compile training feedback
- Develop and edit training materials based on trainee feedback
- Coordinate and track training attendees
- Other tasks as assigned
Professional skills, knowledge and experience preferred
- Excellent written skills
- Strong computer skills – MS TEAMS, PPT, Word
- Experience working on issues concerning ethics or gender-based violence
- Experience delivering trainings or presentations
- Familiarity with protection from sexual exploitation and abuse in the humanitarian and/or development settings
Personal skills required
- Strong organizational skills
- Ability to work with others
- Ability to take initiative
- Ability to work independently (given the role will be remote/online)
Supervisory Responsibilities (if none, state none)
Key Working Relationships:
Partner Safeguarding Advisors, Regional Safeguarding Advisors, Country Program Safeguarding Focal Points
- Actively enrolled in Bachelor’s or Graduate program
- Good academic standing
- Eager to learn and work with various departments in the company.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office.
- Ability to multitask.
- Cope well under pressure.
Agency-wide Competencies (for all CRS Staff)
These are rooted in the mission, values, and guiding principles of CRS and used by each staff member to fulfill his or her responsibilities and achieve the desired results.
- Continuous Improvement & Innovation
- Builds Relationships
- Develops Talent
- Strategic Mindset
- Accountability & Stewardship
What we offer
CRS offers a comprehensive benefits package including medical, dental, life insurance, vision, generous retirement savings plan and the opportunity to work in a collaborative, mission-driven culture that is committed to improving the lives of the poor throughout the world.
*Our Catholic identity is at the heart of our mission and operations. Catholic Relief Services carries out the commitment of the Bishops of the United States to assist the poor and vulnerable overseas. We welcome as a part of our staff people of all faiths and secular traditions who share our values and our commitment to serving those in need. Disclaimer: This job description is not an exhaustive list of the skill, effort, duties, and responsibilities associated with the position.
Note: All positions requiring residence or frequent travel outside their home country must undergo and clear a pre- employment medical examination.
CRS' talent acquisition procedures reflect our commitment to safeguarding the rights and dignity of all people - especially children and vulnerable adults - to live free from abuse and harm.
*EOE/M/F/D/V -* CRS is an Equal Opportunity Employer. (For all US and International positions)
Catholic Relief Services carries out the commitment of the Bishops of the United States to assist the poor and vulnerable overseas. Our Catholic identity is at the heart of our mission and operations. We welcome as a part of our staff and as partners people of all faiths and secular traditions who share our values and our commitment to serving those in need.