Open to Internal and External Candidates
Position Title : Operations Assistant (Field Support)
Duty Station : San Salvador
Classification : General Service Staff, Grade G4
Type of Appointment : One Year Fixed Term with possibility of extension
Estimated Start Date : As soon as possible
Closing Date : December 3rd, 2021
Reference Code : VN2021/060SV
Established in 1951, IOM is a Related Organization of the United Nations, and as the leading UN
agency in the field of migration, works closely with governmental, intergovernmental and nongovernmental
partners. IOM is dedicated to promoting humane and orderly migration for the benefit
of all. It does so by providing services and advice to governments and migrants.
Since the inception of IOM in 1951, Movement Operations have been and continue to be a
fundamental pillar of the Organization’s work. The organized movement of persons in need of
international migration assistance is a primary mandate of the Organization and a cornerstone of
IOM’s operations. This mandate has resulted in the international transport of more than 15 million
migrants and refugees worldwide. Movement Operations departments in various IOM missions,
coordinated under the division of Resettlement and Movement Management (RMM) in the
Department of Operations and Emergencies (DOE) at IOM’s Geneva Headquarters, are responsible
for all aspects of travel for migrants and refugees under IOM’s auspices, in accordance with the
various framework agreements with resettlement and receiving Governments and partners across
the spectrum of the Organization's programmes.
Under the general supervision of the Movement Operations Manager, Latin America and the direct
supervision of Senior Operations Assistant, Field Support, the Operations Assistant (Field Support) is
responsible for undertaking movement operations activities in the field, with the following duties
IOM is committed to a diverse and inclusive environment. Internal and external candidates are
eligible to apply to this vacancy. For the purpose of the vacancy, internal candidates are
considered as first-tier candidates.
Core Functions / Responsibilities:
• Undertake field support activities in an assigned area or areas, such as at an airport, transit center, third-party facility, camp-based operation or sub-office, or in relation to transportation.
• Perform airport services, such as providing custodial care of travel documentation; verifying identities and documentation, including exit permissions, visas, tickets and other items in the travel bag; assisting with airport formalities, including flight arrivals, curb-side assistance, check-in, luggage formalities, immigration procedures, security screening systems and customs clearance; escorting arriving individuals to ground transportation and departing individuals to their gates; visually confirming flights have departed; ensuring individuals with special needs or equipment receive appropriate support; and, as needed, sending notifications using relevant systems.
• Assist individuals at transit centers or third-party facilities, including upon arrival with sign-in, verification of identity, orientation, food and non-food items and room assignments; during their stay with food and non-food items, instructions, briefings, activities and resolution of issues; and upon departure for medical appointments, return travel or onward travel with briefings, luggage support and transition to transportation. Enter and update relevant data in the appropriate systems and ensure vulnerable individuals are assisted in a manner that ensures their safety, security and comfort; report all issues immediately to the appropriate supervisor(s).
• Provide assistance at transit centers and third-party facilities for extended periods of up to 12 hours and during overnight periods and weekends, ensuring the needs of individuals are met throughout their stay. Communicate promptly with third-party facility representatives and/or supervisors if issues arise.
• Assist in the coordination of transportation from consolidation points, transit centers and third-party facilities, including liaising with service providers, ensuring the identity verification, readiness and organization of individuals being transported, and providing relevant briefings. Assist with baggage sorting, tagging and handling and escort individuals on transportation as needed. Ensure individuals with special needs are provided with appropriate services and report any issues to supervisors immediately.
• Provide selection mission support, exit permit support and/or interpretation services for individuals at the airport, in transit centers, camps, consolidation points and third-party facilities or during transport by air, ground or water.
• Provide regular feedback on work being accomplished to the Operations Assistant (Team Leader) and/or supervisors and team members and keep supervisors immediately informed of any issues requiring their attention.
• Maintain and ensure the confidentiality and integrity of all relevant paperwork in line with standards of conduct and data protection rules. Alert the Operations Assistant (Team Leader) or management of any non-compliance to SOPs or codes of conduct by IOM staff members or partners.
• Perform such other duties as may be assigned.
Required Qualifications and Experience
Education and Experience
• Completed secondary [high school] education required and four years of relevant working experience, or
• Two years of working experience with a Bachelor’s degree;
• Prior Movement Operations or transportation experience is a strong advantage.
• Good knowledge of Word, Excel and the internet.
• Strong interpersonal and communication skills.
• Ability to use own initiative and work under pressure with minimum supervision
• Self-motivated and objective driven
Fluency in English and Spanish (oral and written)
Working knowledge of French is an advantage.
• Inclusion and respect for diversity respects and promotes individual and cultural differences; encourages diversity and inclusion wherever possible.
• Integrity and transparency: maintain high ethical standards and acts in a manner consistent with organizational principles/rules and standards of conduct.
• Professionalism: demonstrates ability to work in a composed, competent and committed manner and exercises careful judgment in meeting day-to-day challenges.
Core Competencies – behavioural indicators level 1
• Teamwork: develops and promotes effective collaboration within and across units to achieve shared goals and optimize results.
• Delivering results produces and delivers quality results in a service-oriented and timely manner; is action oriented and committed to achieving agreed outcomes.
• Managing and sharing knowledge continuously seeks to learn, share knowledge and innovate.
• Accountability: takes ownership for achieving the Organization’s priorities and assumes responsibility for own action and delegated work.
• Communication: encourages and contributes to clear and open communication; explains complex matters in an informative, inspiring and motivational way.
Как подать заявку
HOW TO APPLY:
Interested internal candidates are invited to submit their applications by completing and sending the Internal Application Form (form attached), a letter of interest, and a CV to the following e-mail address: email@example.com by October 29th,2021 at the latest, referring to this advertisement. Personal History Form optional.
External Candidates that comply with the profile will need to send the Personal History Form, Resume and a letter of interest to firstname.lastname@example.org by December 3rd,2021 at the latest, referring to this advertisement.
• The motivation/cover letter should be a maximum of 1 page long and in English. It should state the position(s) you are applying for
• The CV should be a maximum of 2 pages long and in English.
KEEP IN MIND:
• Only the applications that comply with the required profile will be taken into consideration.
• Those applications received after the due date or the ones that don’t include the name of the position, will not be considered.
• This vacancy is open for local staff or international staff with legal permit to work in the Country.
• The attachment shouldn’t weight over 2 MB.