Results for Development (R4D) is a leading non-profit global development partner. We collaborate with change agents around the world — government officials, civil society leaders and social innovators — to create strong systems that support healthy, educated people. We help our partners move from knowing their goal to knowing how to reach it. We combine global expertise in health, education and nutrition with analytic rigor, practical support for decision-making and implementation and access to peer problem-solving networks. Together with our partners, we build self-sustaining systems that serve everyone and deliver lasting results. Then we share what we learn so others can achieve results for development, too.
We have a unique and vibrant culture at R4D. Diversity, equity and inclusion are at the heart of our work environment and help advance our mission. Diversity—of ideas, identities, perspectives and backgrounds—is vital to who we are and what we do. We seek people who embrace these values and will help reinforce them. Our work culture is collaborative, creative and entrepreneurial. We operate based on trust and respect. Teams across the organization frequently collaborate on programmatic work and support each other in continuously building a better R4D.
R4D seeks a highly motivated and dynamic Director of Subcontracting and Procurement to oversee these important functions. In this role, the director will oversee a growing portfolio of vendors and subcontractors, work to streamline processes and procedures, build capacity among R4D colleagues, and ensure compliance with R4D policies and donor rules and regulations.
R4D is a growing, fast-paced, results oriented and mission driven team. We are a supportive and flexible employer. Join us!
This position can be based in Washington, DC, London, Addis Ababa, or Nairobi and reports to the Chief Operating Officer.
A successful Director of Subcontracting and Procurement will be highly-motivated, a creative problem solver; have strong analytical, communication, and collaboration skills; and have a commitment to excellence and producing results. We are a team that is resourceful, responsible, tenacious, high-energy, and always has a positive attitude.
We seek an entrepreneurial, strategic, and creative individual to help us take this work forward during an exciting juncture of rapid growth. Previous experience developing and managing budgets, strong verbal and written communication skills, and an ability to think creatively and strategically about how to improve organizational systems and practices is required. Knowledge of procurement processes, grants management, and prior experience managing USAID budgets, is also desired.
- Lead the Subcontracting and Procurement Team to address a wide range of compliance questions on ongoing projects and troubleshoot project operations issues, including but not limited to client relations, contractual, financial, personnel, grant and subcontract management, and general compliance matters.
- Ensure streamlined subcontracting and procurement processes to boost efficiency and ensure compliance with donor rules and regulations – with a particular focus on USAID and FCDO compliance.
- Assist in the identification, recruitment, and management of consultants, and sub awardees as necessary.
- Establish internal control systems, quality assurance, and protocols for local subcontractors and/or sub-grantees to ensure compliance with local law as well as with donor and R4D policies and procedures.
- Develop and implement training and mentorship plan for direct reports and other colleagues who work on subcontracting and procurement processes.
- Provide oversight to or lead the development and roll out of new and/or updated policies and guidance manuals related to compliance and project management.
- Develop and/or update R4D’s subcontract templates and tools, and provide related oversight and guidance to R4D’s new and/or ongoing projects that have subcontractors
- Review terms and conditions of solicitations and convey risks and opportunities to members of the proposal team.
- Review terms and conditions of R4D’s teaming arrangements and convey risks and opportunities to members of the proposal team.
- Review R4D’s cost proposals for cost competitiveness, reasonableness, and regulatory compliance.
- Master of Management, Business and/or Public Administration, or related relevant field; experience will be considered in lieu of master’s degree. Undergraduate degree required.
- Minimum 10 years’ experience in management of international development activities with increasing levels of responsibility.
- A minimum 7 years experience in a senior management role on subcontracting, subaward management and/or procurement
- Experience in supervising complex, high-speed, and challenging global organization working in developing countries.
- Experience starting up and operationalizing multi-million dollar field based projects, including in areas such as interpreting donor terms and conditions, developing subcontracting templates, and executing partner vetting and vendor selection processes.
- Experience developing corporate level policies and manuals as well as manuals related to grant and subcontract management, consultant engagement, etc.
- Experience in budget management and developing cost proposals
- Good working knowledge of the development donor regulations (including but not limited to USAID, FCDO, UN agencies, and Gates Foundation) related to grant and subcontract management. Previous experience working with USAID and FCDO grants and contracts strongly preferred.
- Experience developing and delivering training programs on subcontracting.
- Enthusiastic about joining a diverse and inclusive work environment
- Ability to work both independently and as part of a team
- Motivated to learn, grow, contribute and produce
How to Apply
Please click here to apply.