Save the Children is seeking Chief of Party (COP) candidates for several upcoming opportunities to lead and manage all aspects of health/nutrition programming within Ethiopia. This senior leadership position will provide overall strategic direction in the design, management, implementation and overall quality assurance of the project. The COP will be Save the Children’s primary point of contact with USAID and all relevant stakeholders. This position will collaborate with the local government and other critical partners to provide high-level support for effective capacity building at the local level and sustainability of the project interventions. The COP will oversee a team of experts and support staff, prepare reports and annual operating plans, align project initiatives with in-country priorities and ensure the program is compliant with USAID and Save the Children’s regulations.
This position is contingent upon donor approval and funding.
What You’ll Be Doing (Essential Duties)
The COP is responsible for developing a strong, coherent vision and initiating innovative strategies across the program activities. They will act as the key liaison between the donor and all other counterparts, including government officials. The COP will lead and/or participate in strategic and high-level policy forums and meetings with various actors and advocate for broader technical issues. The COP will also ensure adherence to overall technical and programmatic quality in implementation and the timely submission of all deliverables to the donor.
- Develop strategic plans, annual and quarterly work plans, and overall management of the program in line with USAID guidelines to achieve project objectives;
- Ensure high quality technical leadership and oversight is in place for the program;
- Lead the team to provide proper coordination and guidance among local government, country-wide initiatives, community partners, NGOs and other key stakeholders;
- Support the development of strong M&E mechanisms, program monitoring tools and efficient systems to ensure high quality implementation;
- Establish compliance with USG regulations, procedures and Save the Children guidelines;
- Represent Save the Children with partners and key stakeholders, maintain positive relationships with USAID, local ministries, and the country office team;
- Establish effective communication and coordination with personnel from the government in order to implement interventions and incorporate country-wide priorities;
- Actively participate as a member of the Country Extended Senior Management Team (ESMT), contributing to country strategic plans;
- Create and sustain a work environment of mutual respect where the project team strives to achieve excellence;
- Incorporate SC’s vision and values and full adherence to Code of Conduct principles;
- Closely monitor security dynamics in the project areas and report to the Country Director on significant changes in the security context.
- Master’s Degree in international development, nutrition programs, youth, education or related field required
- Minimum of eight years of progressively international work experience in managing and implementing USG programs in Eastern Africa
- Proven senior management experience in nutrition, education, and working in a multi-cultural environment. Previous COP experience preferred
- Proven ability in understanding, creating and implementing solutions in order to achieve measurable results within development projects
- Demonstrated skills in leadership, mentoring, motivating and supervision over multi-cultural teams within a dynamic setting
- Demonstrated ability to cultivate relationships with the private sector, local NGOs and government officials
- Excellent interpersonal skills and demonstrated ability to lead and work effectively in team situations
- Solid oral and written communication and interpersonal skills in English
- Prior experience as Chief of Party or Deputy COP
- Knowledge of local language preferred.
Why you should join the Save the Children Team
Save the Children US offers outstanding benefits that include health, dental, vision and life insurances, pet insurance, short-term and long-term disability coverage, an Employee Assistance Program, 403(b), generous vacation, personal sick leave, family leave, parental/adoption leave, commuter benefits, dress for your day, and much more.
Click here to learn more about how Save the Children US will invest in YOU!
About Save the Children
Save the Children believes every child deserves a future. In the United States and around the world, we give children a healthy start in life, the opportunity to learn and protection from harm. We do whatever it takes for children – every day and in times of crisis – transforming their lives and the future we share.
*Our work for children and their families requires that we commit—at every opportunity—to work together to identify and dismantle persistent systemic and structural racism, inequality, and any other forms of discrimination in this country and beyond. As an anti-racist organization, Save the Children will not tolerate discrimination in any form—in our employment practices, amongst our staff, in our leadership or toward the people we serve. We stand in solidarity with all people to fight for equal rights, justice, inclusion, and belonging.*
We provide equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and qualified applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, ancestry, sexual orientation, national origin, age, handicap, disability, marital status, or status as a veteran. Save the Children complies with all applicable laws.
Save the Children is committed to conducting its programs and operations in a manner that is safe for the children it serves and helping protect the children with whom we are in contact. All Save the Children representatives are explicitly prohibited from engaging in any activity that may result in any kind of child abuse. In addition, it is Save the Children’s policy to create and proactively maintain an environment that aims to prevent and deter any actions and omissions, whether deliberate or inadvertent, that place children at the risk of any kind of child abuse. All our representatives are expected to conduct themselves in a manner consistent with this commitment and obligation.
Save the Children is committed to minimizing safety and security risks for our valued employees, ensuring all are given training, support and information to reduce their risk exposure while maximizing the impact of our programs for children and families. Our shared duty, both agency and individual, is to seek and maintain safe working conditions for all.