Desired start date: 1st of December 2021
Duration of the mission: 12 Months
Location: Nigeria, Maiduguri, Abuja
ABOUT THE MISSION
SI is present in North-East Nigeria since 2016 and is currently operating in 4 operational bases across Borno State (Maiduguri, Monguno, Ngala, Dikwa) with outreach capacities across all BAY (Borno, Yobe and Adamawa) States through its emergency component. Current coordination is based in Maiduguri while a representation office is set up in Abuja. In 2020, SI opened a Base in Zamfara State to start Emergency Response in North West where the security and humanitarian situation has been deteriorating over the past few years. Security and humanitarian situation in both North East and North West as well as epidemic outbreaks continue to affect millions of live in those areas.
SI is responding to the humanitarian needs of displaced populations and host communities through WaSH, Shelter & NFI, FSL (Food Security and Livelihood) and Emergency/Rapid Response activities. In order to promote an integrated approach, SI is also lead partner of three consortiums: one with INTERSOS implementing CCCM and protection activities and two with ALIMA (Health and Nutrition).
The annual budget of the mission is around 9 million euros in 2020 and the mission has potential for development in its current area of intervention as well as in the North Western part of Nigeria where limited actors are currently present.
The mission is fully staffed with 18 international and 200 national personals. Position is currently based in Maiduguri.
ABOUT THE JOB
Under the direct management of the Country Director, the Safety and Security Coordinator supports the Country Director in the adaptation of SI safety & security framework in Nigeria to the constant evolving context. He/She also contributes to the monitoring of and reporting on the security context. He/She aims to continuously build the capacity of the staff on security awareness and management and to diffuse an adequate security culture within the organization. He/She develops access strategies in all relevant areas of operation, current or prospective.
Within the framework of his/her mission, he/she will be in charge of:
- Ensure the constant review and update of SI Nigeria safety & security framework documentation and its dissemination
- Ensuring proper operationalization of the security process within the field teams with the support of the Country Director and Field Coordinators
- Regular analysis and strengthening of SI Nigeria security management setup
- Monitor closely the security context and provide analysis on trends and outlooks
- Supporting the diversification / consolidation of information sources/networks at the local level and its subsequent recording and analysis at the coordination level
- Capacity-building of staff and diffusion of a security culture
- Support the Country Director in developing an Access strategy for specific intervention areas.
Specific stakes and challenges
- Volatile context with a willingness by NSAG to directly target of NGO staff, asset and facilities
- Operations in North West Nigeria with very limited actors and a degrading security context
- Limited Access Programming set up with limited access to field
Priorities for the 2/3 first months
- Develop Access Strategies in NE and NW Nigeria
- Ensure updates of the security pack in all areas of intervention
ORG CHART POSITION (reporting and functional relationships)
- Line manager: Country Director
- Functional manager: Security focal Point (HQ) for major HR issues
- Line report(s) on bases: Security manager
Qualifications and skills:
Bachelor’s degree or equivalent
Minimum 5 years working with INGO specialized in humanitarian assistance.
Considerable and strong security planning and implementation work experience gained in the context of field relief operations in insecure areas.
Substantial experience of working in conflict-affected areas and of associated risks to personal and organizational security
Security assessment/review experience and analytical and planning skills
Previous experience in Nigeria context is major advantage
- Proven excellence in communication and liaison skills (diplomatic)
- Initiative and creative thinking, patience, sensitivity and tact
- Ability to work under pressure and in response to changing needs
- Strong training skills
- Strong initiative with solid organizational and communication skills
- Ability to work well within a team
- Problem solving skills
- Fluent English – written and spoken
- French or Arabic is an asset
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office, working knowledge of spread sheet and database management.
SI WILL OFFER YOU
Salary: According to experience, starting from EUR 2640 gross per month (EUR 2400 base salary + 10% annual leave allowance paid monthly)
Monthly Per Diem: USD 600
SI covers accommodation costs and travel expenses between the expatriate's country of residence and the mission.
- 1 break of 7 working days every 3 months
- 1 day off per worked month.
These days off, as well as the breaks, are not deducted from the paid leaves that are paid every months with your salary: they are offered by SI.
Social and medical cover:
Expatriates benefit from an insurance package which reimburses all healthcare expenses (including medical and surgical expenses, dental care and ophthalmological expenses, repatriation) and a welfare system including war risks. Essential vaccination and antimalarial treatment costs are refunded.
Please note that this is an expatriate position.
The candidate will be accommodated in the guesthouse in Maiduguri.
Living conditions in Maiduguri are good, despite the security and COVID restrictions. Electricity and internet are available at the office and at the GH at all times. Volley-ball court, ping pong, and some gym equipment are available in the GH. All essential good (food, hygiene etc..) can be bought locally in the small shops around the office, or in the pre-validated supermarket. Visits to other NGOs are possible, as well as some the City Star restaurant.
Living conditions in Abuja are comfortable even if the recent tensions and the COVID situation could temporarily decreased the possibilities for social gathering.
Living conditions are obviously more difficult in remote field locations, only accessible by helicopters, but minimum standards are ensured (electricity, Internet access, etc.)
Как подать заявку
Please send us your CV AND Cover letter in English via this link: https://emea3.recruitmentplatform.com/syndicated/private/syd_apply.cfm?id=PULFK026203F3VBQB6G8N8NX4&nPostingTargetID=65653.
Please bear in mind that we receive a high volume of applications, which means it can take us a few weeks to get in touch with you.
If you are shortlisted, please not that SI’s recruitment process usually includes: an HR interview, reference checks, written test, technical interview.
Eventually, please note that the vacancy may close before the deadline.
If you haven’t made up your mind yet, check our website.