The GIS Specialist – Asia/Crisis Analysis will support IRC decision-makers by analyzing and presenting key geospatial data about our programs, clients and contextual developments. This position will be part of both the Asia regional team and the Emergencies and Humanitarian Action Unit and have a focus on supporting IRC programs in Afghanistan, Myanmar and Ethiopia. However, it will also work with a diverse team within the Asia region and EHAU to provide wider data analysis, mapping, and visualization inform wider crisis analysis, programming, policy and advocacy decisions as required.
He/she will actively participate in ongoing spatial and non-spatial data management activities, GIS projects and future IRC regional mapping and information analysis efforts. He/she will effectively manage and report on projects with a focus on data analysis, GIS data representation, data mapping and development of standardized geographic information analysis goals.
The International Rescue Committee responds to the world’s worst humanitarian crises and helps people to survive and rebuild their lives. Founded in 1933 at the request of Albert Einstein, IRC offers life-saving care and life-changing assistance to refugees forced to flee from war or disaster. At work today in more than 40 countries and in 22 U.S. cities, IRC restores safety, dignity and hope to millions who are displaced. IRC leads the way from harm to home.
IRC’s Crisis Response, Recovery and Development (CRRD) department focuses on various relief, rehabilitation, and development programs for refugees, internally displaced persons and those affected by conflict in different regions worldwide. As part of Crises Response, Recovery and Development (CRRD) department, the Asia Region has a growing portfolio of humanitarian relief, post-crisis recovery, and development programs currently in seven countries: Afghanistan, Bangladesh, Myanmar, Malaysia, Pakistan, the Philippines and Thailand, with a budget of $115 million and a team of over 5,000 staff.
• Work with key internal clients to develop regular GIS/information analysis products to meet their needs by illustrating the scale and impact of IRC’s programming and also contextual developments that affect IRC’s interventions.
• Ensure key information is analyzed and presented in a suitable way to support decision-making by key internal clients. Design, develop, customize, and maintain spatial analyses and information products using GIS and related software and subsystems.
• Coordinate the acquisition of new spatial data and supervise its integration into the organization’s existing GIS and information analysis products. Provide quality control with regard to data capture (data conversion), and the evaluation of data acquired from country programs and outside of the organization.
• Provide cartographic design and produce high quality geographic maps
• Collaborate with Global Crisis Analysis team to identify and pioneer usage of GIS, satellite imagery and other remote-sensing methodologies to support the IRC’s programs and operations.
• Serve as the GIS technical lead and point of contact for regional and country GIS and related matters. Diagnose and solve problems experienced with the use of GIS and related software. Acquire relevant data and establish teamwork processes for quality inputs.
• Participate in relevant information analysis coordination sessions and share takeaways to the regional team to aid in their strategies and decisions.
• 3 – 5 years’ experience in GIS development
Demonstrated Skills and Competencies:
• Solid grasp of the ESRI ArcGIS or equivalent GIS software suite
• Experience in programming using databases and maps
• Experience in designing and maintaining relational databases.
• Experience with PowerBI Suite, or similar data analysis and visualization tools
• Strong data analysis skills with the ability to engage with variety of audiences to brainstorm on program data goals
• Superb communication and coordination skills
• Proficiency in English (written and spoken)
• Ability to multi-task and be flexible to rapidly change focus quickly to respond to urgent needs.
• Ability to work independently and prioritize tasks with limited mentorship while keeping in close collaboration with members of the team
Education: BS or MS degree in computer science, GIS or related field
Preferred experience & skills:
• Experience working on international development or humanitarian response projects, preferably with field experience.
• Standard office working environment
• Some international travel as needed up to 30%
• This role may require working remotely full or part time and part time remote employees may be required to share workspace.
The IRC and IRC workers must adhere to the values and principles outlined in IRC Way - Standards for Professional Conduct. These are Integrity, Service, Equality and Accountability. In accordance with these values, the IRC operates and enforces policies on Beneficiary Protection from Exploitation and Abuse, Child Safeguarding, Anti Workplace Harassment, Fiscal Integrity, and Anti-Retaliation.
IRC et les employés de IRC doivent adhérer aux valeurs et principes contenus dans le IRC WAY (normes de conduite professionnelle). Ce sont l’Intégrité, le Service, l’égalité et la Responsabilité. En conformité avec ces valeurs, IRC opère et fait respecter les politiques sur la protection des bénéficiaires contre l’exploitation et les abus, la protection de l’enfant, le harcèlement sur les lieux de travail, l’intégrité financière, et les représailles.