Role & Responsibilities
Effectively and accountably manage the financial and administrative cash and bank transactions at our Juba office and coordinate the monthly close process with field locations. Deputise for the Finance Manager when required.
Multi-sector relief and rehabilitation programme including: provision of primary and emergency health care, water and sanitation, distribution of non-food items and emergency shelter to assist in reducing morbidity and mortality in vulnerable populations of South Sudan.
Workplace & Working Conditions
Field based position in Juba, South Sudan. Take a look at Medair’s work in South Sudan.
Starting Date / Initial Contract Details
As soon as possible. Full time, 12 to 24 months.
Key Activity Areas
- Reconciling / verifying bank and cash amounts on a weekly basis.
- Ensuring payments are made in a timely fashion.
- Entering Juba Bank transactions into Field Connect, reviewing all transactions on a monthly basis
- Preparing the monthly cash needs forecast for the programme, ensuring that money is transferred between locations in a timely manner and that daily cash needs are met.
- Supporting field bases in financial matters, as required.
- Monitoring project spending on an on-going (monthly) basis.
- Ensure that Medair Finance Procedures are followed in the Country Programme’s offices as part of internal control monitoring.
- Prepare and deliver financial activity reports within the required timeframe.
- Prepare for, manage and support internal and external field financial audits, providing all information required by local legislation, donors, GSO or other bodies.
- Meet the finance related administrative requirements of Medair, donors, local legislation, suppliers, contractors and any other stakeholders, so that the financial aspects of the programme function efficiently, effectively and with integrity.
- Prepare payroll schedules for each field location and bank deposit in Juba. Ensure that statutory deductions are paid to the appropriate authorities.
- Support the GSO Programme Finance Officer (PFO) in reporting to donors, providing relevant documents and narrative explanation of any anomalies or discrepancies.
- Manage the Finance Officer in Juba including recruitment, day-to-day management, development and training, appraisal, etc. Provide functional support to field Finance Officers and Senior Finance Officers Payroll and Nairobi.
- Develop and maintain a communication structure with colleagues to ensure they are kept informed of applicable financial activities and requirements, including the distribution of key financial information.
- Control and manage the security of in-country cash when held on site and when being transferred to other account holders.
- Promote and use the Medair e-library and other operating procedures, ensuring that all standardised formats are used and guidelines are followed.
Team Spiritual Life
- Reflect the values of Medair with team members, local staff, beneficiaries, and external contacts.
- Work, live, and pray together in our Christian faith-based team settings. Fully contribute to the rich spiritual life of your team, including team devotions, prayers, and words of encouragement.
- Encouraged to join and contribute to Medair’s international prayer network.
This job description covers the main tasks that are anticipated. Other tasks may be assigned as necessary.
- Certified Public Accountant (CPA) Part 2 (or equivalent) completed.
- Strong working knowledge of English (spoken and written).
Experience / Competencies
- Relevant professional experience in a financial position for at least two years.
- Overseas experience, preferably working in the NGO finance sector desirable.
- High numeracy skills. Problem solving ability. Excellent attention to detail.
- Able to develop and maintain effective relationships with colleagues, beneficiaries, other agencies and local authorities.
- Team-player with good inter-personal skills.
- Good communicator, able to pass on information efficiently.
- Willingness to support others and to share workload.
- Capacity to work under pressure and manage personal stress levels.
- Able to work effectively in a wide variety of situations.
Before you apply
Please ensure you are fully aware of the:
b) Medair is committed to safeguarding the protection of beneficiaries, volunteers, staff and partners, and particularly children. Therefore, we do not employ staff whose background we understand to be unsuitable for working with children. Medair staff are required to give the utmost respect to, and comply with, Medair’s accountability policies and best practices.
c) Key Profiles & Benefits Package provided for Internationally Recruited Staff (IRS).
d) Medair Relief & Recovery Orientation Course (ROC) (which forms part of the recruitment selection process for field positions).
To apply, go to this vacancy on our Medair page.
Please do not make multiple applications. We will not review email applications. Only English-language applications / CVs will be reviewed.