BACKGROUND ON IMPACT AND REACH
REACH was born in 2010 as a joint initiative of two INGOs (IMPACT Initiatives and ACTED) and the United Nations Institute for Training and Research (UNITAR) Operational Satellite Applications Programme (UNOSAT). REACH’s purpose is to promote and facilitate the development of information products that enhance the humanitarian community’s decision making and planning capacity for emergency, reconstruction and development contexts, supporting and working within the framework of the humanitarian reform process. REACH facilitates information management for aid actors through three complementary services: (a) need and situation assessments facilitated by REACH teams; (b) situation analysis using satellite imagery; (c) provision of related database and (web)-mapping facilities and expertise.
IMPACT Initiatives is a humanitarian think tank, based in Geneva, Switzerland. The organization manages several initiatives, including the REACH Initiative. The IMPACT team comprises specialists in data collection, management and analysis, GIS and remote-sensing.
We are currently looking for a REACH Data/R Officer to provide assessment and technical support to the REACH Iraq mission.
Title: REACH Data/R Officer
Supervisor: REACH GIS and Data Specialist
Location: Erbil, Iraq
Contract duration: 6 months
Start date: ASAP
REACH Initiative has been present in Iraq since 2012, supporting humanitarian decision-making with assessments and information management activities focusing on the needs of displaced, returnees, and conflict-affected populations. Today, data collected and disseminated by REACH aims to provide a baseline for ongoing response planning efforts across Iraq.
REACH assessment activities in Iraq are currently focused along the three major themes:
- Support for decision-makers in the humanitarian planning cycle;
- Information support and advocacy for durable solutions for internally displaced persons and returnees;
- Third-party quality monitoring of humanitarian programs.
REACH has its main assessment office in Erbil, with data collection teams working across Iraq.
Under the functional supervision of the REACH GIS and Data Specialist, the REACH Data/R Officer will be responsible for the design of data processes, the management of large sets of data, and supporting the mission with data-related tasks, including cleaning, analysis, reporting, and automating recurring tasks.
1. Designing Innovative Data Solutions
- Taking the lead on engaging creatively with new and existing data collection cycles to identify opportunities for innovation, improved data quality, and increased strategic engagement with data;
- Improving data quality by automating data checking and cleaning processes in R, including for large country-wide assessments;
- Automating recurrent data analysis processes to reduce the amount of time between data collection and the creation of information products;
- Designing products and technical processes to improve the use of and engagement with REACH data within the humanitarian response;
- Supporting the development of innovative frameworks for data analysis, such as early warning systems and methods for needs prioritisation, by providing technical expertise
2. Assessment Support
- Supporting team members with designing and implementing assessment strategies and methodologies, including sampling frameworks, data analysis plans, data collection tools, and data quality checks;
- Ensuring the quality and accuracy of REACH data as well as the confidentiality and protection of collected information;
- Managing the analysis of data in line with IMPACT’s guidelines;
- Designing and producing engaging information products, including dashboards, reports, and maps.
3. Technical Support
- Advising staff on IMPACT Initiative’s R based analysis packages, developed by IMPACT headquarters in Geneva;
- Working with staff to troubleshoot issues with existing scripts and data processes;
- Training staff on statistical analysis and programming;
- Proactively identifying data support needs across the mission and addressing them.
- Excellent academic qualifications, including a Master’s degree in a relevant discipline (Computer Science, Computer Engineering, Information Management Systems, Statistics, Mathematics, etc.) including Master's level Statistics courses in R;
- Advanced experience analysing complex data with R;
- At least 1 year of relevant working experience in humanitarian or development settings;
- Strong analytical skills, including the ability to identify outliers and key trends, and to situate findings in a winder context;
- Strong skills in Excel;
- Advanced understanding of database management;
- Experience with cleaning large datasets;
- Experience conducting temporal or spatial trends analysis;
- A self-starter with a strong existing ability to work independently;
- Good attention to detail, and commitment to producing high quality work;
- Openness to feedback and willingness to learn;
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills;
- Flexibility and adaptability to ever-changing needs and responsibilities;
- Written and spoken fluency in English.
- Good understanding of various sampling frameworks;
- Experience writing R packages;
- Knowledge of other statistical programming languages and packages;
- Experience with Geographic Information Systems (QGIS, ArcGIS);
- Experience with Tableau;
- Ability to design and operate Kobo, ODK or similar mobile data collection tools.
- Salary defined by the IMPACT salary grid; educational level, expertise, hardship, security, and performance are considered for pay bonus
- Additional monthly living and food allowance
- Lodging provided at the organisation’s guesthouse
- Transportation costs covered, including return ticket + luggage allowance
- Provision of medical, life, and repatriation insurance + retirement package
Kindly submit to the following link: REACH Data/R Officer | Impact (impact-initiatives.org)
In case you encounter challenges using the application form, please contact us via email@example.com