The Economic Recovery & Development (ERD) Coordinator will provide overall strategic direction for the program in Northwest Syria (NWS). This role will manage continued growth, implementation, monitoring, and evaluation of basic needs and livelihoods programs in NWS. The portfolio includes a continuation of direct implementation alongside partnerships with Syrian NGOs for cash assistance and livelihoods interventions, in accordance with IRC’s strategy. The IRC’s ERD programming relies on a market-based approach to the greatest extent possible. This means meeting urgent priority basic and livelihood needs of displaced populations without compromising existing market structures and mechanisms in addition to seeking opportunities where future livelihoods development opportunities exist.
Working closely with the Deputy Director for Programs, Senior Program Quality Coordinator, MEAL and Partnership Coordinators, other sector leads and operations departments, the ERD Coordinator will oversee the implementation and growth of the ERD portfolio in line with the country strategy. This will ensure ERD needs-based programs are coherently delivered in NWS and synergies with other sectors are maximized. The ERD Coordinator will have a strong emphasis on program development, management and implementation, team management, capacity building of staff, and technical support to partners to ensure successful and high quality implementation of programmatic activities.
Program Management, Technical Quality, and Strategy
- Manage the ERD NWS team in Amman and Syria. This is a senior and strategic role which requires strong skills in team management and a structured approach to program delivery.
- Provide technical and management oversight to all ERD (cash, cash for work, livelihoods) programming in NWS in accordance with best practice and IRC policies, adapted to the context of Syria, with strong remote management mechanisms.
- Liaise with program leads, supply chain and finance staff to ensure timely payments, distributions and compliance for ERD activities.
- Ensure smooth management and integration of project work plans and budgets (budget forecasting, development of spending plans and budget follow-up), timely recruitment, and accurate reporting in accordance with IRC and donor regulations.
- Liaise with economic advisors within the technical unit to ensure relevant support, tools and resources are being provided and integrated into programming.
- Ensure interventions are informed by data collected from Syria, especially market data or beneficiary purchasing power parity, and aligned with humanitarian standards coordinated with other actors.
- Proactively continue to grow the NWS ERD portfolio through development of concept notes and proposals to existing and new donors, maintaining a coherent ERD strategy across IRC’s areas of intervention in Syria.
- Support the identification of opportunities for ERD programming initiatives in support of service delivery and/or thought leadership in collaboration with country program senior management, business development staff and IRC Technical Unit advisors.
- Collaborate with Syrian partners on the identification of business development opportunities, and the design of new interventions.
- Anticipate, plan and manage programmatic and structural transitions.
- In collaboration with the MEAL team, support ERD staff to develop relevant monitoring tools and adapt them to context.
Staff Performance Management, Learning & Development
- Hire, supervise, and build the capacity of ERD team members in relevant technical and management competencies.
- Coach, train, supervise and mentor direct-report staff, including communicating clear expectations, setting annual performance objectives, providing regular and timely positive and constructive performance feedback, and providing documented semi-annual performance reviews.
- Maintain open and professional relations with team members, promoting a strong team spirit and providing oversight and guidance to enable staff to successfully perform in their positions.
- Approve and manage all time, attendance and leave requests to ensure adequate departmental coverage; ensure monthly, accurate timesheet submission and carry out probationary reviews.
- Hold high-quality meetings with direct reports on a regular and predictable basis, at least monthly.
- As required identify staff performance issues and work with Human Resources to document and address these in accordance with the National Staff Employment Policies.
- Promote and monitor staff care and well-being. Model healthy work-life balance practices. Support appropriate interventions for staff care needs for national and international staff.
- Develop and implement remote management capacity building approaches to build the strengths of the team in Syria.
- Adhere to and act in accordance with the IRC Global HR Policies and Procedures, and communicates through word and example a high standard of compliance with all applicable policies and regulations.
Research, Learning and Analysis
- Lead ERD assessments and context-appropriate research aimed at generating a strong evidence base for IRC protection programming, as well as informing IRC advocacy.
- Support the greater sharing and use of research and learning within IRC’s program sectors, including by contributing to program development and design, to ensure interventions are responsive to needs and informed by a sound understanding of the environment(s) in Syria
- Identify, monitor and report unmet needs. Explore the potential of the IRC to address those needs within the parameters of the country strategy and sector priorities.
Coordination & Representation
- As needed and in coordination with other sector leads and country program management, represent IRC in inter-agency forums and discussions.
- Regularly coordinate with internal program and operational stakeholders, especially technical units.
- Participate in relevant working groups both within and outside of the UN cluster system.
- Attend relevant donor meetings and present on ERD activities.
- Lead responsibility for the strategic development and maintenance of partner relationships with Syrian organizations.
Key Working Relationships
Position Reports to: Senior Program Quality Coordinator Indirect/Technical Reporting: ERD Technical Unit
Position directly Supervises: Senior ERD Manager, Cash and Basic Needs Manager, ERD Coordination Manager, ERD Implementation Manager,
Key Internal Contacts:
- Country Program: Senior Management Team members across partnerships, field management, operations, HR, grants and compliance.
- Region: Team members in security, partnerships, public affairs, HR, finance, supply chain, monitoring and evaluation, ICT4P and others
Key External Contacts:
- National and International NGOs
- Donor agencies
- Government ministries/authorities
- UN agencies
Education: Bachelor’s degree in social sciences, agriculture, economics, international affairs or related field required.
- Over five years’ of professional humanitarian/development experience.
- Experience with cash transfer programming and market-based emergency responses required.
- Livelihoods experience highly desirable.
- Strong proposal and report writing ability and communication skills is a must.
- Able to solve complex problems through a collaborative and consultative approach.
- Prior experience working in remote-management situations preferred, particularly in supporting partners.
Demonstrated Technical Skills:
- Strong program/technical and budget management skills, planning, reporting, monitoring and evaluation skills.
- Strong technical and operational knowledge of ERD in a remote context.
- Proven experience in grants management.
- Experience in donor reporting and proposal development.
Demonstrated Managerial/Leadership Competencies:
- Excellent relationship-building, interpersonal skills and the ability to effectively represent IRC at forums and with donors.
- Strong negotiation skills essential with experience in conflict resolution desirable.
- Superior oral and written communication skills, with ability to express ideas and concepts clearly and persuasively with senior internal and external stakeholders.
- Proven ability to design and lead training engagements with staff and partners to enhance skills and adapt to changing program demands.
- Positive attitude to work, self-reflective, motivated, inspired, collegial.
- Proven ability to work well in and promote teamwork, thrive in a multi-cultural environment, be flexible and handle pressure with professional grace.
- Fluency in spoken and written English Arabic is required.
Computer/Other Tech Requirements:
- Full professional competency in Microsoft Office Suite, especially Word, Excel, Outlook, and PowerPoint.