Save the Children is seeking a Chief of Party (COP) for an anticipated USAID-Côte d'Ivoire malaria prevention and control activity. This transformational activity focuses primarily on clinical and community-level malaria diagnosis and treatment, and coordination and technical support for the National Malaria Control Program. The COP is a senior leadership position and will provide overall strategic direction in the design, management, implementation and overall quality assurance of the activity. The COP will be Save the Children’s primary point of contact with USAID and all relevant stakeholders. This individual will collaborate with the Ministry of Health and other critical partners to provide high-level support for effective capacity building at the local level and sustainability of activity interventions, in addition to providing technical assistance on malaria service delivery. The COP will oversee a team of experts and support staff, prepare reports and annual operating plans, align initiatives with in-country priorities and ensure the activity is compliant with USAID and Save the Children’s regulations. The position will be based with Abidjan, Côte D’Ivoire, with local travel required as needed.
This position is contingent upon donor approval and funding.
What You'll Be Doing (Essential Duties)
- Develop strategic plans, annual and quarterly work plans, and overall management of the activity in line with USAID guidelines to achieve objectives.
- Serve as Save the Children’s representative to USAID’s Presidents Malaria Initiative (PMI), the Ministry of Health and other malaria stakeholders as required.
- Ensure high quality technical leadership and oversight is in place to meet donor expectations and ensure activity results are disseminated widely.
- Lead and manage project team in collaboration with the President’s Malaria Initiative, key USAID Implementing Partners (IP), and other partners working in USAID intervention zones. Ensure close collaboration with PMI, Global Health Security Agenda, as well as other donors and key stakeholders, including the Global Fund.
- Support the development of strong M&E, Accountability & Learning mechanisms, program monitoring tools and efficient systems to ensure high quality implementation; allow for timely and accurate decision-making and course corrections when evidence acquired through the activity’s MEAL mechanisms suggest the need for change.
- Support a rigorous approach to learning and adaptation driven by data that, in consultation with USAID, lead to refinements and adjustments to the activity’s technical approaches and annual work plans.
- Ensure compliance with all USG regulations, procedures and Save the Children guidelines.
- Establish effective communication and coordination with personnel from the government in order to implement interventions and incorporate country-wide priorities.
- Actively participate as a member of the Country Extended Senior Management Team (ESMT), contributing to country strategic plans.
- Create and sustain a work environment of mutual respect where the activity team strives to achieve excellence.
- Incorporate SC’s vision and values and full adherence to Code of Conduct principles.
- Master’s Degree in public health, biological sciences, environmental sciences, entomology, or related areas of expertise is preferred; Bachelor’s Degree is required.
- Minimum 15 years’ of professional experience designing, managing and implementing large and complex programs in technical areas such as maternal, newborn and child health, reproductive health and family planning, nutrition, hygiene, gender, and youth.
- At least five years of senior program experience working and living in a developing country; ideally in Côte d'Ivoire.
- In-depth knowledge of USAID approaches and regulations is required and experience working with PMI is preferred.
- Prior experience as Chief of Party or Deputy COP with strong knowledge of USAID administrative, management and reporting procedures and systems along with strategic program planning, management, supervision, and budgeting expertise.
- Excellent interpersonal skills and demonstrated ability to lead and work effectively in team situations.
- Creative problem solving skills with the ability to work effectively in resource-constrained environments.
- Familiarity with the political, social, and cultural context of Cote d’Ivoire is preferred.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills in English and French.
Qualified local candidates are strongly encouraged to apply.
Why you should join the Save the Children Team…
Save the Children US offers outstanding benefits that include health, dental, vision and life insurances, pet insurance, short-term and long-term disability coverage, an Employee Assistance Program, 403(b), generous vacation, personal sick leave, family leave, parental/adoption leave, commuter benefits, dress for your day, and much more.
Click here to learn more about how Save the Children US will invest in YOU!
About Save the Children
Save the Children believes every child deserves a future. In the United States and around the world, we give children a healthy start in life, the opportunity to learn and protection from harm. We do whatever it takes for children – every day and in times of crisis – transforming their lives and the future we share.
Save the Children is committed to conducting its programs and operations in a manner that is safe for the children it serves and helping protect the children with whom Save the Children is in contact. All Save the Children representatives are explicitly prohibited from engaging in any activity that may result in any kind of child abuse. In addition, it is Save the Children’s policy to create and proactively maintain an environment that aims to prevent and deter any actions and omissions, whether deliberate or inadvertent, that place children at the risk of any kind of child abuse. All our representatives are expected to conduct themselves in a manner consistent with this commitment and obligation. Any violations of this policy will be treated as a serious issue.
We provide equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and qualified applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, ancestry, sexual orientation, national origin, age, handicap, disability, marital status, or status as a veteran. Save the Children complies with all applicable laws.