Role & Responsibilities
Ensure that monitoring, evaluation and learning systems are consistently integrated and implemented throughout Medair’s programme activities. This involves: creating, developing, and supporting programme teams to use Monitoring, Evaluation & Learning (MEAL) systems to collect, aggregate and analyse data including facility and project data as well as household surveys; and playing a key role in ensuring that the reporting needs of key stakeholders are met on time. In liaison with the beneficiary accountability focal point, they champion beneficiary accountability within the organisation and work with programme staff to ensure that beneficiary feedback is taken into account at all stages of project design and implementation.
Emergency health projects targeting displaced and/or epidemic, conflict affected and vulnerable populations in the DRC. WASH interventions in health centres and as part of a health emergency response. Infrastructure, opening humanitarian access to remote areas. Nutrition programming integrated into health, but also in areas of emergency or with high rates of malnutrition.
Workplace & Conditions
Field based position in Goma, Democratic Republic of Congo. Take a look at Medair’s work in D.R. Congo.
Starting Date / Initial Contract Details
As soon as possible. Full time, 24 months.
Key Activity Areas
Monitoring & Evaluation
- Lead the on-going development of an M&E system and tools and support the IM to enable all projects to collect, aggregate and support analysis of data, in order to meet all relevant reporting requirements on time and to facilitate and inform project management.
- Co-ordinate implementation of the MEAL system, MEAL tools, and project monitoring plans, including training and support for project managers and field teams, supporting data analysis and usage.
- Support, with the sector teams, the design and implementation of qualitative and quantitative data collection such as needs assessments and household surveys using recognised methods of data collection. Liaise with the GSO M&E Advisor, GSO Sector Advisors, and approved consultants for new survey methodologies if not experienced. Work with IMO to develop and standardise survey tools and other data collection forms for monitoring programmes.
- Train relevant programmes staff on MEAL tools, data collection and analysis and basic surveying and sampling techniques.
- Responsible for all survey data collection and planning, analysis, and report writing in coordination with project teams and sector advisors.
- Participate in country quarterly and strategy meetings, and provide input into the design and evaluation of the country strategy.
Beneficiary Accountability / Donor Communications
- Promote the principles and practices of beneficiary accountability to colleagues in support of the beneficiary accountability focal point, providing training and coaching in beneficiary feedback and other good practices as required.
- Provide support for project managers, with input from field and GSO sector advisors, to develop MEAL elements of donor proposals and reports, including provision of monitoring plans, project data, and reports on progress towards indicators.
- Line-manage the M&E Officers and any additional temporary or surge capacity staff, including recruitment, day-to-day management, development and training, appraisals, etc.
Team Spiritual Life
- Reflect the values of Medair with team members, local staff, beneficiaries, and external contacts.
- Work, live, and pray together in our Christian faith-based team settings. Fully contribute to the rich spiritual life of your team, including team devotions, prayers, and words of encouragement.
- Encouraged to join and contribute to Medair’s international prayer network.
This job description covers the main tasks that are anticipated. Other tasks may be assigned as necessary.
- Graduate Degree in public health, international development or other relevant social science.
- Strong working knowledge of English and French (spoken and written).
Experience / Competencies
- Post-qualification management experience in a relevant profession.
- 2 years of management including report writing.
- 1 year of experience managing a humanitarian M&E system including supervising household surveys.
- Experience designing, planning, implementing, analysing and writing reports for household surveys
- Experience using some of the following: DHIS, SPSS, STATA, EPI-INFO and/or SMART –ENA software.
- Problem solving ability, excellent communicator, team player, good numerical and report writing skills.
- Able to develop and maintain effective relationships with internal and external stakeholders.
- Good inter-personal and conflict resolution skills. Coaching and training skills.
- Strong leadership skills. Consultative management style. Accountable decision maker.
How to Apply
Before you apply
Please ensure you are fully aware of the:
b) Medair is committed to safeguarding the protection of beneficiaries, volunteers, staff and partners, and particularly children. Therefore, we do not employ staff whose background we understand to be unsuitable for working with children. Medair staff are required to give the utmost respect to, and comply with, Medair’s accountability policies and best practices.
c) Key Profiles & Benefits Package provided for Internationally Recruited Staff (IRS).
d) Medair Relief & Recovery Orientation Course (ROC) (which forms part of the recruitment selection process for field positions).
To apply, go to this vacancy on our Medair page. Please do not make multiple applications. We will not review email applications. Only English-language applications / CVs will be reviewed.