World Vision is a Christian humanitarian, development and advocacy organisation devoted to improving the lives of children, families and their communities around the world. Our over 37,000 staff members working in nearly 100 countries are united through our ethos, mission and shared desire for all individuals, especially children, to overcome poverty, inequality and injustice.
Responding in China and East Asia since the first outbreak of COVID-19 in January, World Vision (WV) launched its COVID-19 Emergency Response (COVER) on 11th March 2020 just as WHO declared a global pandemic. This grew rapidly in scale from an initial $80 million programme in 17 countries to a whole of WV Partnership response across all field regions and countries through an 18 month, $350 million global Response Plan to reach 72 million people through four objectives spanning health, WASH, food and livelihoods security, education, child protection, advocacy and external engagement. By mid-August the response had reached over 45 million people.
Here’s where you come in:
* Preferred position location: United Kingdom. Other locations to be determined by home country of successful candidate in a jurisdiction (US state or country) where WVI is registered to operate.
As the Humanitarian Advocacy & External Engagement Technical Director, COVID-19 Emergency Response, you will be responsible for overseeing implementation of one of the four strategic objectives of the global COVID-19 Emergency Response (COVER) - COLLABORATE AND ADVOCATE TO ENSURE VULNERABLE CHILDREN ARE PROTECTED, specifically focusing on advocacy and external engagement.
You will be responsible for implementing long term and/or time-bound, intensive and targeted influencing strategies to achieve shifts in international policy towards children and families affected by COVID-19, with a focus on fragile contexts. Specifically, you will focus on strengthening protection of children’s rights during COVID-19, on addressing operational constraints to ensure World Vision can reach the most vulnerable children with humanitarian assistance, and ensure alignment of the COVER response with the global campaign on ending violence against children as necessary.
- A post-graduate degree in a relevant field (equivalent of a Master’s in international or public relations, international development, or law).
- 10 years relevant job experience, including in management, with significant time spent in active humanitarian response contexts.
- An excellent understanding of International Humanitarian Law and the humanitarian sector and its derivate standards, guidelines and tools, with a well maintained network of external industry relationships.
- In-depth understanding of civil society leverage points in the global humanitarian community including strong familiarity with relevant UN and coalition processes across NY and Geneva.
- Excellent writing skills and the ability to translate complex material and data into coherent narratives that resonate with policy makers and peers.
- Professional fluency in English
- The position requires ability and willingness to travel domestically and internationally up to 25% of the time, including to humanitarian response environments.
How to Apply
World Vision is dedicated to our team members’ development and their success. We aspire for all employees to be fulfilled through their work and their contributions to an organisation working to provide long-term sustainable solutions to the world’s most vulnerable people.
Find the full responsibilities and requirements for this position online and apply by the closing date 23 SEPT 2020. For more information on World Vision International, please visit our website: www.wvi.org.
Due to the number of applications received, only short-listed candidates will be contacted.