Desired start date: mi-octobre 2020
Duration of the mission: 1 year
Location: Teknaf – Cox’s Bazar District
ABOUT THE MISSION
SI opened its mission in Bangladesh at the end of 2007, following cyclone SIDR.
SI’s intervention and strategy in Bangladesh is to address primary needs of crisis affected people in terms of food security, livelihood, disaster risk reduction (DRR), water, hygiene and sanitation (WASH) and shelter, by making use of an integrated disaster risk reduction approach and by taking into account the effects of climate change, whilst working in parallel on mid-long term resilience strategies.
SI operates through three core stages of intervention, rapid response mechanisms in the aftermath of a disaster or emergency, early recovery/transitional periods and development. In line with the 2019/2020 country strategy, SI is focusing on four key strategic objectives:
– Responding to the most urgent needs of conflict and disaster affected populations;
– Strengthening the resilience of vulnerable communities to recurrent shocks;
– Strengthening communities’ capacities to access resources;
– Reducing marginalization through inclusive programming.
To this end, SI Bangladesh focuses the crux of its work on the WaSH and FSL sectors with a cross cutting them of integrated protection and resilience.
ABOUT THE JOB
The Field Coordinator has the role of delegated Head of Mission for a region of a country in which Solidarités International intervenes. As such:
- He/she proposes a regional strategy according to the geopolitical and humanitarian context, and ensures its implementation once validated.
- He/she checks and ensures that projects are carried out in accordance with the Solidarités International charter, respecting all internal and contractual procedures
- He/she mobilizes the material and financial resources necessary for programs to run smoothly, and supervises resource management.
- He/she coordinates the teams in place and is responsible for their security in his/her assigned zone.
- He/she is the Head of Mission’s direct contact and representative.
Coordination and strategic orientation
- Within his/her intervention zone, monitor and analyse the humanitarian, political, cultural, social and economic context.
- Within his/her intervention zone, propose new operational directions and develop an operational strategy in line with the association’s policies and the population’s needs.
Relevance and operational quality / operation monitoring
- Ensure the coordination, development, monitoring and evaluation of the programmes implemented within his/her intervention zone.
- Ensure that the programmes in his/her intervention zone are implemented in accordance with the annual operational strategy, Solidarités International’s technical requirements and financial donor’ criteria.
- Propose the human, financial and logistical scale for his/her intervention zone and its organisation
- Ensure that financial resources and other means necessary for accomplishing projects in his/her intervention zone are mobilized.
Human resource management
- Build and maintain a team dynamic which enables the objectives of Solidarités International to be carried out in his/her intervention zone
- Monitor the implementation of Solidarités International’s human resources policy and procedures (recruitment, EAP, etc.)
- Responsibility for the security of teams and property in his/her assigned zone, under the HoM’s supervision
- Monitor and analyse the security situation and ensure it is understood by teams
- Ensure that all security rules and procedures are updated and respected in his/her intervention zone
Financial backer relations / search for funding
- Monitor and analyse financial donor strategies in his/her intervention zone
- Participate, at the request of the HoM, in the search for funding and ensure the financial stability of the organization and the programs implemented in his/her intervention zone
Internal and external communication
- Ensure that documents produced in his/her intervention zone meet deadlines, procedures and quality standards
- Ensure that key operational information circulates properly, in his/her intervention zone and between the bases and the country coordination
- Be the official representative of Solidarités International in his/her intervention zone for aid workers, administrative, political and local authorities, civil society and the media
- Be an active participant in humanitarian forums and relevant coordination meetings
SPECIFIC STAKES AND CHALLENGES
- Large size of operations (with around 200 base staff) in different areas
- Wide range of donors grants
- Due to large scale of operation and numerous staff, communication between department and coordination remain the key for efficient management. Frequent bilateral and base meeting, as well as external relation, are compulsory to maintain a rational at base/mission level.
Org. char position
Line manager: Country Director
Line report(s) on base: all national and expatriate staff in his/her geographical zone
Master‘s degree preferably in Project management/humanitarian aid or any equivalent Masters level or higher degree.
- Minimum of 3 years of international experience in a humanitarian or development NGO in support sector;
- Proven experience in conflict/post-conflict contexts
- Previous experience as Field Coordinator is compulsory (no first mission/position).
- Proven experience as an efficient and effective manager (experience with expatriate management)
- Previous experience with Solidarités International is strongly appreciated
- Exceptional organizational and coordination skills;
- Excellent capacity building and staff follow up skills;
- Experience and reliability in handling budgets and logistics procedures;
- Experience in project cycle management as well as in budget, HR and logistics management (to understand how is running a base).
- Previous experience in Bangladesh is an asset
TECHNICAL SKILLS AND KNOWLEDGE
- Exceptional organizational and coordination skills;
- Strong negotiation skills are essentials with experience in conflict resolution desirable;
- Good representation skills: ability to liaise with local authorities, NGOs, other agencies and donors.
- Good understanding of humanitarian challenges including the link between refugees and Host Communities
- Knowledge of Solidarités International rules, tools and procedures would be an asset
- Ability to multitask and deal with stressful situations.
- Strong diplomatic and smooth leadership skills is essential;
- Skills in creating and developing a good working environment and team cohesion in and out support department.
- Organization, rigor and ability to meet deadlines
Languages: excellent English, written and spoken is essential. Bangla is an asset but not compulsory.
SI WILL OFFER YOU
A salaried post: according to experience from 2860 euros gross per month (2600 base salary + 10% annual leave).
Per Diem of USD 450.
Social and medical cover: Expatriates benefit from an insurance package which reimburses all healthcare expenses (including medical and surgical expenses, dental care and ophthalmological expenses, repatriation) and a welfare system including war risks. Essential vaccination and antimalarial treatment costs are refunded.
Vacation: During the assignment, a system of alternation between work and time off is implemented at the rate of one break every three months. Our policy was just modified: from now on, Solidarités offers you 7 working days ever three months, with a 850 USD allowance for each break. In addition to these regular break, SI adds a day off per worked month. These days off as well as the breaks are not deducted from the paid leaves that are paid every months with your salary as they are offered by the organization.
Security context and Living conditions in Teknaf:
Security in Teknaf/Cox Bazar, is stable and there is no apparent or new threat to the safety and security for the humanitarian work.
Teknaf office & GH are separated. The GH offers basic but very good living condition (AC in every room, private space available, sport machine available). There is an excellent atmosphere shared between expatriates. In terms of social life, Teknaf is a bit limited (few local restaurant) but the longest beach in the world is very close from the Office and GH.
Swimming & running are possible, depending on the season and the time of the day. Some security restrictions are in place, especially at night (no more foot movement, every movement done by car at night).
It is possible to spend week-ends in Cox’s Bazar, depending on FCO and DCD approval, where more options for relaxing are available (restaurant, bars, social life...).
Как подать заявку
Please send us your CV and Cover letter in English via this link:
For further information about Solidarités International, please consult our website: http://www.solidarites.org/en/
NB: The vacancy may close before the deadline.