*Please note: This position will be open to internal applicants only through to August 14, 2020. External candidates will be reviewed and considered after this date as necessary.
The Senior Technical Advisor for Gender Integration will be a leading member of PCI’s gender and empowerment team. S/he will work closely with the Sr. Director of Gender & Empowerment and other programmatic leadership to integrate gender and social inclusion across PCI’s programs by providing and/or supervising high-quality technical assistance to country programs and field activities; providing technical leadership for proposals and project design; and developing new tools and processes to mainstream gender and inclusion across the organization.
Project Concern International is in the process of merging with Global Communities which will result in an expanded number of projects, programs, and geographies for the combined organization. The Sr. Technical Advisor, Gender Integration will work closely with the Sr. Director of Gender & Empowerment to scale systems and practices to effectively mainstream gender across the combined organization, with an eye towards programmatic growth, standard-setting and systematization, and integrating the best practices and the latest thinking in the gender technical field. The Sr. Technical Advisor will be active in external fora such as sector-specific coalitions and working groups and engage in thought-leadership aimed at ensuring the combined organization’s contributions to, and learning from, the field. The Sr. Technical advisor will work with the gender and empowerment team to advance the organization’s gender and social inclusion practice, by promoting next-generation thinking that challenges binary gender programming and traditional empowerment frameworks.
Key Duties & Responsibilities:
Organizational Gender Mainstreaming (35%)
- Play a leadership role in designing and implementing processes, assessments, analyses, and strategies to identify institutional capacity gaps and set priorities for the new, combined organization;
- Contribute actively to the strategic planning process to ensure that gender and social inclusion considerations are mainstreamed across all thematic areas;
- Create procedures and resources for ensuring that gender equality and social inclusion are meaningfully integrated into programs, setting high standards that can be tracked to tangible outcomes;
- In partnership with the Sr. Director and other members of the Gender & Empowerment team, develop a standard gender and social inclusion orientation for new staff;
- Serve as a resource to People and Culture for organizational policies associated with gender, safeguarding, equity, and inclusion;
- Provide/oversee training and technical assistance on gender integration and/or mainstreaming to build PCI’s capacity globally; and
- Identify and share gender-related resources and materials throughout PCI as part of efforts to leverage knowledge, strengthen staff capacity, and integrate best practices.
Technical Leadership on gender and social inclusion (35%)
- Provide high quality technical assistance to country and project teams to plan, design, monitor, and evaluate gender-transformative activities, including conducting gender technical reviews of workplans, reports, and proposals;
- Support the management of centrally funded, signature initiatives for women/girls;
- Work with New Business Development (USG and non-USG), country and technical teams on prepositioning and contribute gender technical content to proposals and project design processes;
- Lead or oversee project gender assessments and the analysis of project data from a gender lens;
- Provide technical oversight and mentoring of field and project-based gender specialists, as assigned;
- Develop technical briefs and other documentation highlighting the organization’s gender work and support the development of marketing materials; and
- Provide recommendations to program teams regarding when specialized resources (human, technical, financial) are needed to address social inclusion, protection, and GBV.
Support to PCI’s Adolescent Girls Program 20%
- Support the development, and design of girl-centered activities and programs on behalf of PCI’s global adolescent girl initiative;
- Manage or backstop adolescent girl special projects/activities as assigned; and
- Work with the Sr. Director to identify staffing needs and growth opportunities for the adolescent girl program.
External Engagement and Leadership (10%)
- Build partnerships that advance gender programmatic and organizational interests;
- Represent PCI, a Global Communities Partner in relevant networks and forums in DC and elsewhere, positioning PCI as an expert organization in gender transformative programming; and
- Identify and facilitate participation in fora, networks, and alliances relevant to advancing the rights of adolescent girls.
Position Parameters/Special Responsibilities Required:
- Position based in Washington, DC
- Requires travel up to 30% time to Latin America, Asia, and Africa
- Participate in PCI’s innovation efforts and in teams on innovation initiatives
- A passion and commitment to feminist values, human rights, and advancing women’s leadership in the global south.
- Master’s degree in gender studies, development, public health, or a relevant social science discipline.
- Minimum 9 years of experience in gender-based programming, including field-based experience.
- Demonstrated ability to lead multi-stakeholder gender mainstreaming strategy development on behalf of organizations and/or complex projects.
- In-depth knowledge of girl-centered programming and GBV prevention strategies.
- Working knowledge of social inclusion and protection concepts.
- Experience creating and leading gender assessment /analysis tools and processes; in-depth understanding of how to practically integrate gender-sensitive measurement into projects and activities.
- Experience in mentoring and training on gender issues, collaborating with government and civil society groups, and program implementation with a gender focus.
- Experience working with USAID and other large international donors required.
- Strong writing and communication skills in English essential, including documentation of program results, case studies and marketing/positioning materials; funding proposals; and donor reports.
- Spanish language fluency is a strong asset.
How to Apply