As a key member of the IRC's Global Communications Team, the Senior Officer, Global Communications will develop and execute communications strategies related to the IRC’s work in Africa and/or other portfolio priority geographies / issues. In turn, s/he will help to position the IRC as a global thought and practice leader.
The Senior Officer will lead and collaborate on IRC communications efforts within a set portfolio and surge into crisis projects as needed, convening and leading multiple departments and stakeholders to deliver breakthrough communications results.
This position is preferred based in Nairobi, Kenya, with frequent travel within Africa. Other locations will be considered. The Senior Officer will act as a spokesperson as needed.
- Convene, collaborate with, and lead a dynamic range of IRC teams across Africa Regions/other IRC portfolios as needed, to develop and implement communications strategies that drive awareness of the IRC’s impact and advocacy, enhancing the IRC's reputation, supporting fundraising objectives, and influencing target policy makers.
- Work with (and persuade) internal stakeholders, including communications team-members, field teams, advocates, fundraisers, and technical experts to facilitate and support dynamic communications tactics, including innovative media outreach, top tier op-eds, creative digital content and dynamic, audience-driven social media output.
- Deliver strategic proactive and reactive media relations, leveraging global insights and expertise in both international and humanitarian media to increase the IRC’s media share of voice and digital engagement.
- Deploy excellent writing skills to deliver pitches that land IRC-led features, high-level IRC messages for cross-organizational use, top tier landing op-eds, and talking points for spokespeople.
- Represent the IRC as a spokesperson to external and internal audiences, both via media interviews and contributing to digital content. Provide media training to field spokespeople as needed.
- Partner with in house and external experts to produce Digital Content and Communications outputs that are integrated with strategic external relations objectives, aligned to clear distribution, and measurement, working closely with the Marketing Communications department.
- Gather content through multiple digital mediums -- photo, video, audio etc. -- using industry standard practices and equipment.
- Contribute to quarterly reports on media coverage and content results using industry standard metrics and bench-marking.
- Strengthen and develop internal systems and processes to deliver on communications objectives.
- Coordinate and lead crisis and emergency communications, including high profile field visits and high-speed content gathering.
- Deliver and lead executive communications for IRC leaders, including the CEO, as needed.
- Expand and nurture IRC’s communications network.
Minimum: Bachelor’s degree in communications, journalism, international affairs or related field
Minimum: Six to eight years of professional experience in communications, preferably with a focus on international affairs or issues that cross with the humanitarian sector.
- French strongly preferred
Demonstrated Skills and Competencies:
- The Communications Senior Officer must demonstrate a flexible approach and ability to navigate ambiguity, as well as multiple projects and competing priorities at once.
- S/he must be able to balance partnership with various departments and creative, breakthrough communications efforts.
- Also, able to work effectively, efficiently, diplomatically and calmly in a high-pressure environment on issues that are often complex and politically sensitive.
- S/he will have deep knowledge and experience of working successfully with major global media, especially in the US, UK, and Europe.
- Experience in producing and editing, under tight-deadlines, accurate and dynamic communications materials, including press-releases, op-eds, talking points and digital content.
- Record of creativity in developing compelling content, and creative pursuit of targets in achievement of communications objectives across different channels (media, social, web etc.)
- Excellent capability and creativity using digital cameras and audio gathering tools and editing suites.
- Standard office work environment
- Regular international travel.