ABOUT THE ‘WHY’
Video has changed the game for activists around the world. With a cellphone camera, anyone can become a human rights defender and expose injustice, making it harder for perpetrators to hide or for systems of oppression to remain invisible. But using video for justice can be dangerous - videos can put activists (or those they film) at risk, can be used against communities in court or deceitfully discredited by tired old power narratives.
WITNESS has spent the last 28 years working with partners around the world to develop the field we call video-for-change. We’ve committed to strengthening this global movement by sharing what we know (and continue to learn) throughout our collaborations - today, our online Library is home to over 180 training resources in more than 20 languages. Activists from around the world have used our tipsheets, tutorials and guides to harness the power of video and learn how to document and expose abuse, preserve visual evidence, and create video advocacy strategies that help protect and defend human rights.
Our small team of 30 people is palpably fierce, but it can’t be everywhere our resources are needed. And as more people around the world turn to their cellphones to film abuse and demand change, WITNESS faces a monumental challenge: how to support these movements, networks and activists --even from afar-- to use video technology as safely and effectively as possible.
ABOUT THE ROLE
The Individual Philanthropy Assistant provides administrative support and assists all aspects of individual philanthropy, playing a critical role in engaging and increasing WITNESS’ network of philanthropic supporters, strategic partners, and other allies. The IPA will help assist in coordinating and driving all vehicles for engagement including all systems management, implementing annual fund campaigns, supporting events, tracking engagement analytics, conducting supporter research and managing our supporter contact databases and engagement systems, processing donations and acknowledgment letters, maintaining the CRM system, and keeping lists, portfolio actions, and moves management interactions up to date.
Individual Philanthropy, Events, and Engagement Support
- Assist and support in the implementation of the Individual Philanthropy and Strategic Partnership strategies including moves & CRM management, events, travel, and special projects, philanthropy or strategic partnership operations, research, and communications;
- Develop, implement, and track creative, consistent, and effective strategies to deepen our partnerships and expand donor networks;
- Support the organization and administration of fundraising and cultivation events (including dinners, briefings, and panels) to raise WITNESS’ visibility and inspire, inform and grow various constituencies;
- Lead on cohesive portfolio and supporter administration, tracking engagement and imoves; creating reports, acknowledgment letters and cultivation pieces; calendarizing events, conferences, and travel, and ensuring consistent and engaging touchpoints throughout the year;
- Support donor engagement around the annual Benefit including coordination with sponsors and guests, conducting and coordinating research, developing outreach materials and messaging, and tracking fundraising efforts;
- Manage the administration of all gifts: processing, tracking and acknowledging gifts using our donor database; ensuring accurate and timely recording of all pledges, gifts, contact information, and reports; and liaising with Finance;
- Coordinate annual fund and peer-to-peer fundraising campaign outreach and administration;
- Coordinate, engage, and expand the existing network of monthly donors;
- Handle and oversee major donor, strategic partner, new board, and corporate research;
- Keep up to date with trends and spaces relevant for WITNESS from a philanthropy and media perspective;
- Support the cultivation of corporate partnership and sponsorship outreach and strategies.
Institutional Content and Messaging
- Draft email and online updates as well as correspondence for the cultivation of supporters
- Create relevant materials and maintain a resource database.
- Create, analyze, and maintain supporter lists;
- Support Finance with the management payment portals as related to revenue; in kind
- Provide departmental and administrative support to the Institutional Support team, as needed
- Events & SP Manager, Communications team, Finance
- Annual Fund Supporters
**POSITION REQUIREMENTS: ***
The ideal candidate will have the following professional skills, experience, and characteristics:
- You have a Bachelor’s Degree or Associate’s Degree and 1-2 years of experience.
- Project Management: You are a highly organized and effective project manager that loves spreadsheets, lists, and coordinating to get things just right.
- Communications: You are an excellent creative writer with strong copy-editing skills. You are comfortable communicating with external audiences and have strong interpersonal communication skills. Ideally, some experience with MailChimp or a similar email platform.
- Systems: You are able to make systems effective and efficient and have proficiency with CRM systems (e.g. Salesforce……)
- Research: You are a skilled researcher
- Work Habits: You are a self-starter who is highly organized with superb attention to detail. You thrive in a face-paced, high-performance culture and have the ability to multi-task and troubleshoot when projects shift unexpectedly. You are reliable, energetic and motivated. You have good judgment and consistently meet deadlines. You enjoy improving systems, tracking the details and optimizing workflows.
- Skills: You are an expert in Microsoft Office applications (Word, Excel, PowerPoint) and have experience working with Salesforce or another CRM. You have excellent project management and organizational skills with an eagle eye to detail.
- Human Rights/Advocacy: You are genuinely enthusiastic about WITNESS’ mission and have a basic understanding of human rights and/or video advocacy.
- You have strong analytical and budgeting skills;
- You have familiarity with managing websites and HTML, especially WordPress;
- You’re an effective team leader with the ability to execute on strategy, and guide, prioritize and motivate;
- You have visual media skills, such as graphic design or video editing.
START DATE: Immediate
LOCATION: Brooklyn, New York
TITLE: Individual Philanthropy Assistant
SALARY: Commensurate with experience, with an excellent benefits package including generous vacation package
How to Apply
To apply, send your cover letter with salary requirements, resume, and contact information for 3 references to jobs[@]witness.org with the subject line “Individual Philanthropy Assistant” [Your name]”.
Please include a cover letter. We are really interested in hearing about what you’ve done, what you can do, and what you want to do at WITNESS.
APPLICATION DEADLINE: Applications accepted on a rolling basis until the position is filled; early applications encouraged. Please note that due to the volume anticipated, we will not be able to respond individually to each applicant.
We kindly ask that you do not send duplicate applications via mail or email, and no phone calls.
WITNESS is an equal opportunity employer. People of all ages, races, ethnicities, national origins, religions, genders, gender identities and expressions, sexual orientations, and individuals protected by any other statuses under federal, state or local laws, including but not limited to, disability, marital, domestic partnership, familial, caregiver, transgender, military or veteran statuses, are encouraged to apply.
Authorization to work in the U.S. is required.