Role & Responsibilities
Ensure quality goods and services are delivered in a timely, cost effective manner to Medair Projects. Take an active lead role in the management of the country supply chain for the South Sudan Programme in close coordination and liaison with the Juba logistics manager, transport coordinator and field locations. All activities are carried out in line with Medair policies and procedures and according to any applicable donor, GSO or field guidelines.
Multi-sector relief and rehabilitation programme including: provision of primary and emergency health care, water and sanitation, and non-food items and emergency shelter to assist in reducing morbidity and mortality in vulnerable populations of South Sudan.
Workplace & Conditions
Field based position in Juba, South Sudan. Working and living conditions may be very basic and require great resilience. Take a look at Medair’s work in South Sudan.
Starting Date / Initial Contract Details
As soon as possible. Full time, 12 to 24 months.
Key Activity Areas
Supply Chain Management
- Ensure Strategic management and oversight of the supply chain for Medair South Sudan to ensure all Medair field projects receive required supplies and equipment accurately, and to required quality.
- Meeting the relevant supply chain communication requirements of the country programme, this includes management and dissemination of information relating to order and supply chain status and reporting and accountability requirements to, project, Medair and donors.
- Develop and maintain an efficient and transparent workflow process of the supply chain in Juba with all relevant functions and roles in liaison with the Logistics Manager.
- Work in close cooperation with other team members, sharing information on the assessments and proposed interventions, providing overviews of supply chain requirements for the development of project proposals and subsequent projects. Proactively engage with key staff to ensure project planning and budgeting incorporates adequate funding for logistics capacity and resources for supply chain.
- Manage the processing of local, regional and international purchase requests.
- Responsibility for keeping the BOF up-to-date, ensuring accurate and up-to-date information is provided for all order on a weekly basis including GIK BOF (key communication document to the field).
- Take the lead with Logistics Manager’s support to implement procurement planning for the country programme. Implement selected supplier lists, price lists, conduct price controls, market research and consolidate orders where possible Ensure all procurement activities are carried out in line with Medair guidelines and procedures and according to any donor requirements.
- Responsible for a customs management for International and local orders. Ensure tax exemption and customs clearances are executed in a timely manner. Ensure proper documentation of supply chain processes from PRs to ROGs.
- Develop and maintain positive relationships with suppliers, local authorities, other NGOs and any other stakeholders, representing Medair and ensuring good co-operation and partnerships.
- Manage the supply chain process of Gift-in-kind (GIK) from local implementing partners (including WFP, UNICEF, UNFPA, UNHCR, WHO, Other Implementing Partners and donors).
- Staff Management
- Line Manage the Procurement Officers. This includes: setting objectives; supporting and encouraging the team to take ownership of PR’s seeking clarification on items pre-purchase and the stock management process; Quality Assurance of items when delivered; enduring their communication of items ready for the field to Procurement Manager; build relationships with staff.
- Ensure good accountability and reduction of the possibility for fraud.
- Ensure Procurement Officers are taking responsibility for Quality Assurance, checking goods delivered on PR’s assigned to them within 24 hours of items being delivered to the warehouse.
- Ensure good record keeping with accurate paper trail and electronic records.
- Develop strong, open and trustful relationships with Project Managers, have an understanding of their procurement plans for the coming 6-12 months and understand what their urgent needs are.
- Key coordination and responsibility for the relationship with GSO logistics and Nairobi logistics, acting as the focal point for requesting quotes and feeding back information to the field teams and then funnelling PR’s as appropriate to Nairobi / GSO.
Team Spiritual Life
- Reflect the values of Medair with team members, local staff, beneficiaries, and external contacts.
- Work, live, and pray together in our Christian faith-based team settings. Fully contribute to the rich spiritual life of your team, including team devotions, prayers, and words of encouragement.
- Encouraged to join and contribute to Medair’s international prayer network.
This job description covers the main tasks that are anticipated. Other tasks may be assigned as necessary.
- Professional / vocational / technical qualification in a relevant field.
- Strong working knowledge of English (spoken and written).
Experience / Competencies
- Experience in managing Supply Chain processes/information flows; 2 years’ experience in Procurement.
- Problem solving ability. Attention to detail. Quick learner with practical, precise approach.
- Able to make decisions within a consultative framework. Team-manager with good inter-personal skills.
- Willing to make and communicate tough decisions an prioritise work to meet deadlines.
- Competent with administrative tasks. Respectful, accountable, honest.
Before you apply
Please ensure you are fully aware of the:
b) Medair is committed to safeguarding the protection of beneficiaries, volunteers, staff and partners, and particularly children. Therefore, we do not employ staff whose background we understand to be unsuitable for working with children. Medair staff are required to give the utmost respect to, and comply with, Medair’s accountability policies and best practices.
c) Key Profiles & Benefits Package provided for Internationally Recruited Staff (IRS).
d) Medair Relief & Recovery Orientation Course (ROC) (which forms part of the recruitment selection process for field positions).