At the heart of Pact is the promise of a better tomorrow. A nonprofit international development organization founded in 1971, Pact works on the ground in nearly 40 countries to improve the lives of those who are challenged by poverty and marginalization. We serve these communities because we envision a world where everyone owns their future. To do this, we build systemic solutions in partnership with local organizations, businesses, and governments that create sustainable and resilient communities where those we serve are heard, capable, and vibrant. Pact is a recognized global leader in international development. Our staff have a range of expertise in areas including public health, capacity development, governance and civil society, natural resource management, poverty, fragile states, monitoring and evaluation, small-scale and artisanal mining, microfinance and more. This expertise is combined in Pact’s unique integrated approach, which focuses on systemic changes needed to improve people’s lives.
Opportunity Development (OPD) - Pact exists to help create a world where those who are poor and marginalized exercise their voice, build their own solutions, and take ownership of their future. The Opportunity Development team contributes to realizing this purpose by overseeing Pact’s new business development activities. Every member of the Opportunity Development team at Pact is committed to sharing in the success of the organization, its peers, and individual accomplishments. The Opportunity Development team is managed through a matrixed structure that promotes winning proposals through collaboration. The team offers team members, both experienced and new professionals, opportunities for learning and professional development. Ideal candidates bring positive energy to this dynamic work environment.
The Temporary Business Development Manager - EWA will be part of Pact’s Opportunity Development team. S/he will serve as the Temporary Team Leader for new business development activities for Pact’s East and West Africa (EWA) portfolios. The Business Development Manager will work with the Regional Director as well as Country Directors and technical experts to develop and execute a business development strategy for the portfolio. S/he will lead the preparation for and manage proposals, contribute to research and trends analysis of donor funding, and support development and execution of country-level new business strategies. S/he will work closely with country office teams in the portfolio to support the development and execution of their business development vision. Up to 30% international travel is expected; length of travel will vary, ranging from 1 week to 6 weeks at a time. S/he will supervise, mentor, and guide direct reports in supporting new business development in the EWA portfolio. The position reports to the Senior Director, Opportunity Development. This position is a temporary position for up to seven (7) months, with the potential for extension.
- Serve as the acting Team Leader for the EWA portfolio, working in collaboration with the Regional Directors, and other members of the portfolio team to set and execute the region’s new business agenda.
- Manage the proposal development process, including comprehensive pre-positioning for proposals and managing live proposals, ensuring that proposals meet funder specifications and deadlines as well as Pact’s quality standards.
- Gather technical input and competitive intelligence from country offices, technical units, subject matter specialists, and other resource persons.
- Work with country representatives, technical leads, other staff, and consultants to conceptualize and design proposals for new projects and/or amendments to current projects.
- Coordinate with the grants and contracts team and finance team for budget development and review and approvals and to negotiate final awards with donors.
- Lead bid decision-making conversations.
- Facilitate the development of strategic partnerships with other organizations and donors.
- Help coordinate teaming agreements, memoranda of understanding, and other institutional agreements with partners; and help negotiate partnership arrangements and budgets.
- Maintain accurate information about business development opportunities in internal databases and assist with analysis of proposal development data; maintain accurate and timely electronic files; and ensure that relevant information is accessible to and circulated to the portfolio members.
- Monitor and share information about new opportunities, donor funding trends, and relevant country information from outside sources of news.
- Serve as a point of contact for business development efforts for EWA countries, ensuring effective communication and collaboration with country representatives and field-based teams.
- Support recruitment efforts for staff proposed as part of proposals to donors.
- Write sections of proposals and/or full proposals as appropriate; edit and proofread proposals.
- Supervise, mentor, and guide direct reports in supporting new business development in the EWA portfolio.
- Other tasks as needed.
- BA in a relevant field and at least 9 years of relevant experience or MA and at least 7 years of experience.
- Proven successful track record with proposals to USAID and/or other large international donors.
- Knowledgeable in one or more of Pact’s technical areas (health, livelihoods, natural resource management, capacity development, governance, or engaging markets).
- Excellent interpersonal and team building skills. Ability to multitask with ease, adapting to frequently changing priorities.
- Excellent planning and time management skills.
- Ability to work efficiently under pressure and maintain quality, detail and organization across multiple assignments.
- Ability to supervise a team, building strong team relationships with HQ and field-based colleagues.
- Fluency in English.
- Ability to travel internationally on short notice.
- Demonstrated proficiency in supervising staff.
- Graduate degree in a related field.
- Overseas work experience in program design, implementation and/or evaluation.
- Experience with Salesforce.
- Proficiency in French or Spanish.
Pact is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate in its selection and employment practices on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, political affiliation, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, marital status, disability, genetic information, age, citizenship status, genetic information, matriculation, family responsibilities, personal appearance, credit information, tobacco use (except in the workplace), membership in an employee organization, or other protected classifications or non-merit factors.
Please click the link to apply: https://careers-pactworld.icims.com/jobs/1387/temporary-business-development-manager-%E2%80%93-east-and-west-africa/job