Role & Responsibilities
Coordinate and manage the main support functions including general administration, base management, finance, human resources, logistics and security. With line management responsibility for staff involved in support roles you also represent Medair at relevant meetings with contractors, local authorities, NGOs and other stakeholders.
Afghanistan is a complex and dynamic country programme due to instability related to politics and insecurity. Medair has been operating in Afghanistan since 1996, and is currently implementing multi-sectoral projects in nutrition, WASH and food security (including cash transfer programming) in vulnerable communities in the Central Highlands and Southern Afghanistan. Natural Resource Management and Emergency Response activities are also undertaken as required. All projects contribute to the overall objective of increased resilience.
Workplace & Conditions
Field based position in Nili, Afghanistan. Take a look at Medair’s work in Afghanistan.
Starting Date / Initial Contract Details
April 2020. Full time, 12 months.
Key Activity Areas
Project Support Management
- Ensure the smooth running of the assigned bases including set-up, staff supervision, security, maintenance and liaison with landlords, contractors and suppliers.
- Supervise all financial activities to ensure all cash management needs, reporting deadlines and internal and external audit requirements are met.
- Ensure all internal financial controls are in place and that Medair and donor guidelines are followed.
- Oversee all human resource activities, supporting line manager.
- Ensure all national and international legal requirements relating to employment are adhered to.
- Oversee the logistical support to programme staff and field bases.
- Monitor that regular computer back-ups, virus updates and routine maintenance are carried out.
- Work with field managers and HQ staff in the preparation and development of budgets for support and shared costs, ensuring they meet all relevant Medair and donor requirements.
- Manage and track expenditure of assigned budgets.
- In the Project Coordinator’s absence, attend relevant external coordination and security meetings and feedback information.
- Ensure security procedures are in place, guidelines are kept up-to-date and staff receive relevant security information.
- Provide support in managing security incidents as required.
- Draw up, manage and periodically review contracts between Medair and external suppliers.
- Submit accurate and timely internal reports and contribute on request to external reports.
- Ensure a clear and transparent paper trail is in place for all transactions.
- Manage and oversee the assigned programme support staff including recruitment, day-to-day management, development and training, appraisal, etc.
- Hold regular team meetings with the assigned programme support staff, reviewing team and individual objectives and ensuring team members are kept informed of issues relevant to their work.
- Develop and maintain a transparent, honest and supportive communication structure with colleagues to ensure they are kept informed of support related activities and requirements.
- Develop and maintain positive relationships with suppliers, local authorities, other NGOs and any other stakeholders, representing Medair and ensuring good co-operation and partnerships.
- Ensure good communication between project teams and support teams.
- Review, develop and implement systems to improve transparency, and to detect and ultimately to prevent loss or fraud.
- Carry-out regular inspections and spot-checks.
Team Spiritual Life
- Reflect the values of Medair with team members, local staff, beneficiaries, and external contacts.
- Work, live, and pray together in our Christian faith-based team settings. Fully contribute to the rich spiritual life of your team, including team devotions, prayers, and words of encouragement.
- Encouraged to join and contribute to Medair’s international prayer network.
This job description covers the main tasks that are anticipated. Other tasks may be assigned as necessary.
- University degree in a relevant subject such as Management / Development Studies / Business Administration or in a relevant technical subject.
- Strong working knowledge of English (spoken and written).
Experience / Competencies
- Post-qualification management experience in a relevant profession.
- Experience working in a cross-cultural setting, preferable in a support role.
- Able to oversee multiple tasks, prioritising and delegating as required.
- Able to develop and maintain effective relationships with internal and external stakeholders.
- Strong organisational and time management skills. Good numerical and report writing skills.
- Good inter-personal and conflict resolution skills. Problem solving ability, excellent communicator.
- Capacity to work under pressure and manage personal stress levels.
- Ability to work independently and willingness to live and work in remote locations.
How to Apply
Before you apply
Please ensure you are fully aware of the:
a) Medair organisational values.
b) Profiles and benefits package provided for Internationally Recruited Staff (IRS).
c) Medair Relief & Recovery Orientation Course (ROC) (which forms part of the recruitment selection process for field positions).
To apply, go to this vacancy on our Medair page.
Please do not make multiple applications. We will not review email applications. Only English-language applications / CVs will be reviewed.