Role & Responsibilities
Play a vital role in community mobilisation as well as in the access to safe water and sanitation for the target population. This involves effectively managing the assigned WASH and infrastructure project(s) in line with the objectives, budget and timeframe laid down in the proposal(s). The role also includes enhancing beneficiary participation, managing and training local staff, implementing control and quality procedures in cooperation with the M&E Manager and the Project Coordinator, and assessing, planning and initiating new infrastructure and WASH projects / proposals.
WASH project to be implemented in North Kivu Province alongside mainly emergency health focused projects targeting displaced, war affected and vulnerable populations in NE Congo. Developmental typed projects aimed at long term and sustainable behaviour change in general population and state health employees to improve public health outcomes. Take a look at Medair’s Water, Sanitation & Hygiene work.
Workplace & Conditions
Field based position in Beni, Democratic Republic of Congo. Take a look at Medair’s work in D.R. Congo.
Starting Date / Initial Contract Details
As soon as possible. Full time, 24 months.
Key Activity Areas
General WASH Project Management
- Be responsible for the implementation and support of the WASH projects in line with the activity plan and time frame of project proposals and any applicable national and international guidelines.
- Manage the quality construction of all infrastructures, ensuring maintenance and sustainability.
- Ensure that regular monitoring and evaluation assessments are conducted with reports being made.
- Work towards the continual improvement of the processes and the technical implementation.
- Ensure integration of beneficiary participation and accountability.
- Ensure reporting of activities for internal and external reports.
- Assess existing project(s) activities and recommend actions to be taken.
- Input into the development of the country strategy, new projects and donor proposals.
- Support the WASH & Infrastructure Advisor in analysing former infrastructure and WASH projects and budgets in order to improve project and budget quality and procedures.
- Manage and oversee recruitment, day-to-day management, development and training, appraisals, etc.
- Hold monthly team meetings with the teams, review objectives, inform them of issues relevant to their work and provide feedback and ensure they receive coaching and training.
- Promote the health and security of the teams by providing support to the WASH & Infrastructure Advisor in developing security guidelines and ensuring healthy living conditions and practices.
- On occasions work with casual labour or other Medair staff (hiring, co-ordinating workload, payment).
- Plan, develop and manage budgets for the assigned projects.
- Coordinate and oversee petty cash requirements of the assigned teams.
Communication & Coordination
- Develop and maintain regular and supportive communication structures with teams and stakeholders.
- Represent Medair at local level coordination meetings involving local authorities, UN agencies, etc.
- Manage the procurement of all necessary Infrastructure and WASH supplies and equipment.
- Ensure the careful use, regular servicing and appropriate replacement of all equipment.
- Develop projects specific handling of field depot in order to better track movement of goods.
- Implement relevant policies and standards relating to current operations including national, and international (e.g. Sphere and Core Humanitarian Standards, CHF) standards, donor guidelines and other good practice.
Team Spiritual Life
- Reflect the values of Medair with team members, local staff, beneficiaries, and external contacts.
- Work, live, and pray together in our Christian faith-based team settings. Fully contribute to the rich spiritual life of your team, including team devotions, prayers, and words of encouragement.
- Encouraged to join and contribute to Medair’s international prayer network.
This job description covers the main tasks that are anticipated. Other tasks may be assigned as necessary.
- Higher level qualification in a technical field, preferably in water and sanitation.
- BSc / MSc in Water / Environmental Engineering or Management or Civil Engineering or Hydrology / Geology desirable.
- Strong working knowledge of English and French (spoken and written).
Experience / Competencies
- 2 years post-qualification professional experience in a relevant field.
- Aptitude for community mobilisation and capacity-building. Good communicator.
- Able to prioritise, to enforce procedures and to set clear objectives for staff and to delegate.
- Leadership and project management skills.
- Able to develop and maintain effective relationships with the team, beneficiaries and other agencies.
- Knowledge and understanding of humanitarian standards such as Sphere and HAP.
- Capacity to work under pressure and manage personal stress levels.
- Good report writing skills and problem solving ability.
- Dynamic, creative, open-minded, flexible, self-learner, self-motivated and hard-working.
Before you apply
Please ensure you are fully aware of the:
a) Medair organisational values.
b) Profiles and benefits package provided for Internationally Recruited Staff (IRS).
c) Medair Relief & Recovery Orientation Course (ROC) (which forms part of the recruitment selection process for field positions).
To apply, go to this vacancy on our Medair page.
Please do not make multiple applications. We will not review email applications. Only English-language applications / CVs will be reviewed.