Role & Responsibilities
Plan, develop, monitor, and evaluate the assigned project(s). This involves assessing ES/NFI needs, designing projects, coordinating and initiating NFI activities, and effectively managing and reporting on the interventions in line with the objectives, timeframe, and budget. Provides technical support, leadership and strategic direction. Other important aspects of the role include meeting quality standards in shelter delivery, encouraging beneficiary participation, liaising with other stakeholders and managing and training ES/NFI staff.
The ES/NFI project will be responsible for the distribution of NFIs in all ten states, independently or in support of other partners. Medair acts as NFI state focal point for NFIs in Central Equatoria State and is responsible for coordination and distributions in that state. Take a look at Medair’s Shelter & Infrastructure work.
Workplace & Conditions
Field based position in Juba, South Sudan. Involves travel 25% of time to field sites. Take a look at Medair’s work in South Sudan.
Starting Date / Initial Contract Details
April 2020. Full time, 24 months.
Key Activity Areas
NFI Project Management
- Manage the assigned ES/NFI project to meet the project objectives within budget and time frame.
- Design distribution that have short term positive impacts and outcomes for the beneficiaries, local authorities (where applicable) and local ES/NFI staff and contribute to medium term resilience.
- Develop and implement an effective ES/NFI strategy with other ERT staff and field managers.
- Set clear objectives and indicators for ES/NFI activities in collaboration with the NFI staff, field managers and, where appropriate, with the local communities.
- Ensure beneficiary participation and accountability in all aspects of the project.
- Ensure accurate and timely reporting of activities according to Medair, donor, and timeframes.
- Develop new proposals, linked to the country strategy, in conjunction with the relevant field managers.
- Develop the projects data collection tools to ensure more accurate and timely reporting.
- Develop and implement new tools to assist with beneficiary registration.
- Line-manage the ES/NFI Managers of the assigned project, including day-to-day management, development and training, appraisals, etc.
- Facilitate regular meetings to assist information sharing between project staff, to ensure all staff members are aware of project objectives and current work plans.
- Provide coaching and technical supervision to staff to develop ownership and full responsibility.
- Assess the training needs of ES/NFI staff and ensure that appropriate training is conducted.
- Manage the ES/NFI budget for the assigned project and ensure all expenses are according to budget and meet the Medair standards to financial management, including accountability and good governance.
Communication and Coordination
- Develop and maintain appropriate, regular, transparent, and supportive communication structures with the assigned ES/NFI team, Medair in-country and Global Support Office (GSO) and other relevant stakeholders with the objective of ensuring good cooperation and partnerships.
- Participate in ES/NFI coordination meetings and other working groups or meetings as required, representing Medair and feeding back to the ES/NFI staff and field managers on relevant issues.
- Support the logistics activities of ES/NFI staff, particularly in relation to the requesting and transportation of supplies and equipment for the assigned ES/NFI activities.
- Liaise, as necessary, with the ES/NFI, logistics and finance staff to ensure items are procured, transported, stored, managed, and accounted for correctly.
- Promote and use the Medair e-library, Portfolio, and other operating procedures and tools, ensuring that all standardised formats are used and guidelines are followed.
- Ensure ES/NFI projects are implemented in line with donor proposals and requirements and in accordance with Medair, donor, country and international standards i.e. Sphere and CHS standards.
- Ensure timely post distribution monitoring after NFI distributions to assess the quality of work and implement findings to improve future responses.
Team Spiritual Life
- Reflect the values of Medair with team members, local staff, beneficiaries, and external contacts.
- Work, live, and pray together in our Christian faith-based team settings. Fully contribute to the rich spiritual life of your team, including team devotions, prayers, and words of encouragement.
- Encouraged to join and contribute to Medair’s international prayer network.
This job description covers the main tasks that are anticipated. Other tasks may be assigned as necessary.
- Higher level qualification in a technical field, preferably in Development or Management.
- Strong working knowledge of English (spoken and written).
Experience / Competencies
- 2 years post-qualification professional experience in a relevant field.
- Minimum 1 year experience in management in international relief work.
- Computer literate with good working knowledge of Microsoft Excel, Word and Outlook.
- Ability and willingness to manage project implementation. Problem solving ability.
- Good numerical, report writing and administration skills.
- Knowledge and understanding of humanitarian standards such as Sphere Standards.
- Aptitude for community mobilisation and capacity-building.
- Experience in training / mentoring / coaching staff.
- Able to prioritise clearly and oversee multiple tasks. Able to take the initiative in project decisions.
- Able to enforce procedures. Able to set clear objectives for staff and to delegate.
How to Apply
Before you apply
Please ensure you are fully aware of the:
a) Medair organisational values.
b) Profiles and benefits package provided for Internationally Recruited Staff (IRS).
c) Medair Relief & Recovery Orientation Course (ROC) (which forms part of the recruitment selection process for field positions).
To apply, go to this vacancy on our Medair page.
Please do not make multiple applications. We will not review email applications. Only English-language applications / CVs will be reviewed.