In countries affected by conflict and war, Women for Women International (WfWI) supports the most marginalized women to earn and save money, improve health and well-being, influence decisions in their home and community, and connect to networks for support. By utilizing skills, knowledge, and resources, she is able to create sustainable change for herself, her family, and community. Within two years, WfWI graduates report an average five-fold increase in personal earnings.
Since 1993, Women for Women International has served more than 500,000 women in 8 conflict-affected countries, including Afghanistan, Bosnia and Herzegovina, the Democratic Republic of Congo, Iraq, Kosovo, Nigeria, Rwanda and South Sudan.
The Senior Program Officer of Program Design is mid-level role with the capacity to change the lives of tens of thousands of women. Reporting to the Senior Director of Program Design and Development, and working closely with the Business Development team, the position is a crucial member of Global Programs Unit. The successful candidate will be primarily responsible for designing proposals and contributing to the organization’s business development strategy. Working in close collaboration with country office, HQ and UK colleagues, the candidate will be accountable for writing programmatic components of winning proposals that will increase revenue from governments, institutional, and partner INGOs to further the reach and impact of WfWI’s mission.
Duties and Responsibilities:
Prepare Program Design Elements for Proposals
- With country teams, design programmatic components of proposals aligned with WfWI’s mission and strategic plan and previous experience, aligned with donor interests and requirements
- Ensure that relevant internal stakeholders contribute to proposal design and that, when appropriate, relevant staff approve the final proposal
- Ensure program components are consistent and coherent across all proposal components, including theories of change, M&E, workplans, budgets
- Provide technical review of proposals to potential funders to ensure high quality program activities in line with WfWI’s program framework
- Analyze key donor trends related to program and MERL and evaluate funding opportunities in detail to shape programmatic design
Contribute to WfWI’s New Business Strategy and Global Development
- Depending on the size and complexity of the proposal, serve as lead coordinator, proposal reviewer, and/or lead technical writer on bids
- Contribute to business intelligence collection efforts by staying abreast of funding developments and understanding funder priorities and calls for proposals
- Prepare high level summaries and pitch documents on WfWI’s work
- Develop standard language to present WfWI’s programming
- Contribute to or draft external documents that document WfWI’s work aligned with donor trends
- Contribute to proposal budgeting processes, liaise with finance staff, and review to ensure program inputs are included in budgets
Contribute to Capacity Building
- Contribute to the capacity build of country office staff through day-to-day interactions on proposal design and writing program inputs for high quality programs, especially on country-led proposals
Communication & Teamwork
- Communication with donors, as needed
- Close collaboration and communication with country office colleagues to understand programs and developments
- Communication with colleagues in Global Programs Unit, Finance, Development, and the UK affiliate
- Accepts constructive feedback
- Positive attitude
- Work ethic
- Initiative/ proactive problem solving
- Commitment and respect for Women for Women International’s mission and values
- Discretion with sensitive materials
- Must be able to operate in an environment with over-lapping roles
Qualifications and Skills
- Bachelor’s degree required; Master’s degree preferred; Certification or formal credentialing in non-profit fundraising management or philanthropic leadership a plus
- 4 to 7 years of relevant experience required
- Excellent English language skills. Proficiency in French, Arabic, or Dari is a plus.
- Previous successful grant writing experience mandatory
- Excellent research, writing, editing and communication skills with strong attention to detail
- Ability to write for a variety of audiences, including government donors and other specialists
- Strong interest in fundraising and helping to grow the organization through increased access to government and foundation grants
- Interest in and strong knowledge of international development, gender issues, social and economic empowerment
- Confidence in working with budgets and financial staff
- Well-organized and able to manage multiple deadlines
- Independent, but good at working with a team and ability to coordinate with others to produce material on deadline
- International work experience delivering restricted and unrestricted funded projects a plus
- Extensive computer skills (especially Microsoft Word, PowerPoint, Excel) and internet research
- Ability to travel to country offices required.
How to Apply
We will be reviewing applications on a rolling basis, so please apply at your earliest convenience through this portal - https://womenforwomen.bamboohr.com/jobs/view.php?id=100
We are an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.