Since 1993, as an international non-governmental organization, ACTED has been committed to immediate humanitarian relief to support those in urgent need and protect people’s dignity, while co-creating longer term opportunities for sustainable growth and fulfilling people’s potential.
ACTED endeavors to respond to humanitarian crises and build resilience; promote inclusive and sustainable growth; co-construct effective governance and support the building of civil society worldwide by investing in people and their potential.
We go the last mile: ACTED’s mission is to save lives and support people in meeting their needs in hard to reach areas. With a team of 4,600 national staff 400 international staff, ACTED is active in 37 countries and implements more than 500 projects a year reaching over 14 million beneficiaries.
Since 2012, ACTED has been implementing projects with vulnerable communities in Syria with a two-fold approach: ACTED provides life-saving support to vulnerable displaced persons, returnees, and host communities across Syria, through multi-sectorial rapid emergency services, and implements a wide range of resilience building interventions. Thus, ACTED has been able to strengthen its links with Syrian local communities and to develop an in-depth knowledge of local dynamics. A team of 900+ is currently working in Syria.
You will be in charge of
1. Implement robust GIS and MIS systems
- GIS and MIS Strategy
Develop and regularly update consolidated GIS and MIS work plan covering all mapping and GIS based analysis for ongoing/future projects and activities;
Ensure the effective design, development and functioning of GIS and MIS systems;
Develop and implement appropriate data collection methodologies and tools, analysis plans, reporting outlines, and data/information dissemination/utilization plans;
Develop dynamic links between Database and GIS data and to ensure regular updates and solve eventual discrepancies;
Ensure that proposal budgets capture appropriate cost and financial information to enable implementation of both internal and external GIS and MIS components;
Establish and maintain data and coding standards, best practices and adherence to these standards as required;
Identify and design innovative practices to improve organizational efficiency and effectiveness in GIS and MIS management and incorporate them in the country AME strategy;
- GIS Systems Development and Implementation
Identify map information needs and relevant data sources;
Acquire spatial data through one or multiple forms of followings:
GPS data including the locations of community assets, beneficiary locations, routes to data collection sites;
Desk-based data capture (digitising) to convert paper maps to GIS datasets, for example, to record the location of community infrastructure from original maps;
Satellite imagery and other remote-sensing data to acquire features and information through technical data/image-interpretation methods;
Produce user-friendly and informative maps in an efficient manner to fulfil information/mapping needs;
Create new information or investigate patterns through GIS based analysis, e.g. estimating the number of people potentially affected by flooding, using population growth figures a protracted refugee/IDP situation to assess the demand for basic services.
Ensure that the produced maps or GIS based products meet the requirements of both internal and external users;
Create and maintain the structures necessary for GIS data storage;
Develop the tools for loading/transferring GIS data between different systems;
Manipulate, analyse and present geographical information by converting GIS information from one format to another;
Develop internet applications to present GIS data and tools on corporate websites where necessary;
- Database Systems Development and Implementation
Creating, upgrading and maintenance of central and project-specific databases including mapping out the conceptual design, Entity-Relationship diagrams, table structures, etc.;
Creation of the user-friendly data entry interfaces ensuring that they correspond to department needs and their information gathering system;
Ensure accurate and consistent data entry and that databases are up to date;
Perform data analysis and produce reports in various formats including graphs, charts etc. as required;
Maintain and further develop the structure or format of the database as required, incorporating ideas and amendments from relevant staff and partners;
Provide additional updates and data analysis as required;
Train the relevant staff on the use of the databases ; for example, train PDD on how to enter and use data on ACTED’s 16 global standard indicators;
Develop and implement proper backup, restore, data validation, and security procedures to ensure data integrity and availability.
- 1.4. Efficient Sharing and Usage of Information
Ensure effective and efficient information production, sharing and usage among all target groups and end-users;
Ensure an effective roll-out of GIS and Information Management systems to all staff and partners through training, site visits, manuals, and other technical support as needed. Ensure systems are well understood and properly implemented by staff and partners;
Develop strategies to increase data use and demand amongst relevant staff and other data/information users;
Facilitate trainings for non AME staff (e.g. PMs, PDs, TCs) on the use of project databases and database related reporting; for example, reporting on ACTED’s 16 global strategic program indicators;
Provide capacity building on effective use of GIS/DB products and systems – or ensure that GIS/DB staff deliver this efficiently and effectively;
2. Manage GIS and MIS Teams
Ensure that all GIS and MIS staff understand and are able to perform their roles and responsibilities;
Supervise relevant GIS and MIS staff delineating their responsibilities and follow-up the work plans and day-to-day activities;
Ensure a positive working environment and good team dynamics between GIS and MIS staff;
Undertake regular appraisals of staff and follow career management;
Training of data entry operators or equivalent in each department to enter the data into the Database;
Identify the AME training needs of GIS and MIS staff, discuss plans with the AME Manager and HR for both internal and external trainings according to strategic priorities for improved information usage and management;
Provide regular and timely updates on progress and challenges to supervisors and other team members;
Participate in GIS/MIS related workshops and meetings as required;
Perform any other related activities as assigned by immediate supervisor.
Expected skills and qualifications
- Flexibility and adaptability are essential, as well as the ability to plan, take initiative and organize work independently. In addition Impartiality, objectivity and confidentiality are imperative;
- Good command of GIS software (especially those used by ACTED), Excel, Word and Database software such as Access or Foxpro. Familiarity with other information and data sources related to GIS to be recommended to ACTED for better GIS practices would be an asset.
- Understanding the nature of the work carried out by programs is necessary for ensuring the relevancy and usability of the maps produced. Therefore a proactive and self-motivated attitude towards gaining a good understanding of ACTED programs, innovating GIS activities and developing new GIS components for proposals is essential;
- Willingness to learn and capacity to innovate: The GIS Officer must be inventive and eager to improve his or her own skills, and be capable to adapt, shape and develop tools best suited for ACTED’s activities
- Ability to travel to the field for data collection, cross-checking the data and provide training to field staff;
- Good organizational and communication skills with international and national staff and rural communities.
- Salary defined by the ACTED salary grid depending on education level, expertise, security level and experience
- Living allowance of 300 USD
- Lodging and food provided in the ACTED Guesthouse / or housing allowance (depending on the contract lenght and country of assignement)
- Flight tickets in and out + Visa taken in charge by ACTED
- Provision of medical and repatriation insurances
How to Apply
Please send your application including cover letter, CV and references to firstname.lastname@example.org under Ref: GISO/WOS