Role & Responsibilities
Oversee the financial activities and financial reporting for the programme. Responsibility for the accounting functions required to provide accurate and timely information on the financial status of the programme to donors, GSO, field management and field teams. Organise and further develop the financial processes, managing the finance team, providing coaching and training as required.
In response to the Syrian Crisis, the program delivers emergency assistance to Syrian refuges and host communities in Lebanon in the sectors of health, shelter and mapping informal settlements.
Workplace & Conditions
Field based position in Zahle, Lebanon. Take a look at Medair’s work in Lebanon.
Starting Date / Initial Contract Details
As soon as possible. Full time, 24 months.
Key Activity Areas
- Verify the weekly bank and cash reconciliations, internal transfer cards, and cheque list in Portfolio.
- Oversee the monthly cash needs forecast (CNF) for the programme, ensuring that money is transferred between accounts in a timely manner and daily cash needs are met.
- Manage the cash flow in and out of the dedicated UNHCR bank account and payments to UNHCR partners.
- Ensure a clear and transparent paper trail is in place for all financial transactions, that finance records are kept in an orderly fashion and that the filing (archive) system is in line with Medair internal archiving policies and meet donor requirements. Championing process improvements.
- Verify the monthly payroll list and payments for NRS salaries and allowances in accordance with local employment regulations, ensuring all required statutory deductions are made.
- Oversee the preparation of the quarterly VAT reports to the Ministry of Finance, quarterly income tax payments to the Ministry of Finance, and monthly NSSF payments to the NSSF.
- Ensure Medair Finance Procedures are followed in the Country Programme’s offices as part of internal control monitoring.
- Coordinate with budget holders, HR, logistics, and senior management in the preparation and development of budgets for project and base costs.
- Work with the Sr. Finance Officer in the creation, submission and report checking of partners’ budgets.
- Prepare for, managing and supporting internal and external field financial audits, providing all information required by local legislation, donors, GSO or other bodies.
- Be the focal point for IRS and NRS labour report (LR) monthly exercise on Portfolio, ensuring accuracy of information being recorded and procedures being followed.
- Work with the contracted accountant to create the annual income statement and balance sheet reports for the Ministry of Interior and Ministry of Finance.
- Update the signature authorization log monthly and the signature sample log as required.
- Lead the end-of-year closing process for Lebanon.
- Meet the finance requirements of Medair, donors, local legislation, suppliers, contractors, employees and any other stakeholders, so that the functions run efficiently, effectively and with integrity.
- Manage and oversee the finance staff including recruitment, day-to-day management, development and training, appraisal, etc.
- Control and manage the security of in-country cash when held on site and when being transferred to other account holders.
- Conduct regular internal audits and report immediately any possible fraud or theft.
- Promote and use BOX, Portfolio and other operating systems and procedures, ensuring that all standardised formats are used and guidelines are followed.
- Team Spiritual Life
- Reflect the values of Medair with team members, local staff, beneficiaries, and external contacts.
- Work, live, and pray together in our Christian faith-based team settings. Fully contribute to the rich spiritual life of your team, including team devotions, prayers, and words of encouragement.
- Encouraged to join and contribute to Medair’s international prayer network.
This job description covers the main tasks that are anticipated. Other tasks may be assigned as necessary.
- University degree in relevant subject and/or Certified Public Accountant Part 2 (or equivalent) completed.
- Strong working knowledge of English (spoken and written).
- Competent with Office Word, Excel, PowerPoint, and Outlook.
Experience / Competencies
- Relevant professional experience in a financial position for at least two years.
- High numeracy skills. Excellent attention to detail. Good inter-personal and conflict resolution skills.
- Able to develop, coach and support national staff. Experience in drafting spread sheets, database programmes, financial reports, etc. Good understanding of humanitarian issues.
- Strong organisational skills and the capacity to analyse and prioritise needs.
- Strong leadership skills and a supportive management style.
- Experience in working with institutional donors.
- Experience in dealing with banks, foreign currency offices and other financial institutions.
How to Apply
Before you apply
Please ensure you are fully aware of the:
a) Medair organisational values.
b) Profiles and benefits package provided for Internationally Recruited Staff (IRS).
c) Medair Relief & Recovery Orientation Course (ROC) (which forms part of the recruitment selection process for field positions).
To apply, go to this vacancy on our Medair page.
Please do not make multiple applications. We will not review email applications. Only English-language applications / CVs will be reviewed.